Sprint boosters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Seeing this It appears to make the throttle control more responsive so I don't see how you would not feel that when driving.

The question is whether you can make the car drive faster by altering the throttle response without increasing engine power or torque?

I think that the answer is 'yes', if by 'drive faster' you mean performing better in some race situations (or sporty road driving).

Will it go faster in a straight line? Perhaps very marginally so given the slightly longer pedal travel at launch (though this can be mitigated by holding the car on the brake, drag race style).

None of the above is my cup of tea, personally - I leave the spirited driving experience to the younger lads :D

For me and the biggest reason people purchase is safety , the throttle plate opening delay when exiting junctions and joining roundabouts to restore that 1:1 relationship like drive by cable .

The torque coming in earlier is just a bonus .

Nothing wrong with cable operated throttle plates , like there wasn't with a lever and cable handbrake , but they like to mess .

For me and the biggest reason people purchase is safety , the throttle plate opening delay when exiting junctions and joining roundabouts to restore that 1:1 relationship like drive by cable .

To be fair, it is something you get used to pretty quickly (throttle delay) my wife complained when she first got her car but is now fine as her driving style has adapted (and that is also fine - she was recently tested (in her car) by IMM and rated as a very good driver).

I never feel unsafe or that the car is unresponsive when she is driving - safety is just a red herring.

As I only sometimes drive it, I aways put it in S mode and it is perfectly fine even coming from the SL which is responsive.

Red Herring ?

Different delays are experienced from large to small and none .

Then there's different people's acceptance levels .

Screenshot_20210526-200338_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210513-083228_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210508-065836_Chrome.jpg

2020-06-04 16.08.27.png

Screenshot_20200726-110352_Chrome.jpg

I don't fully understand the exiting junctions and joining roundabouts argument. HGVs seem to manage it just fine...

The obvious point is that you adjust your driving to your car. Otherwise where does it end? Nothing less than a car that does 2.4 seconds naught to sixty will do?

I drive a range of cars, some are more responsive than other. I never felt a car was unsafe because it wasn't quick enough.

Of course if someone wants a quicker sportier car, that's down to them. But there's no need for the exiting junctions and joining roundabouts argument to justify it....

I think I would find this beneficial in my 2011 E350 CDI auto. When exiting on to busy roundabouts, if I'm in no rush, them yes I too wait for gaps large enough for HGVs to pull out into. Because when I set off gently, then it really is gently with the throttle lag.
If I'm not wishing to hang around and would like to take advantage of normal car sized gaps during normal manic commuting times where everyone seems to using launch control to get out on to roundabouts, then to nip out into a normal car sized gap, I have to bury the throttle, which yes, gets the car moving quickly, but is then in maniac mode and I'm having to try and judge backing off again before I smoke the rear tyres.

The lag isn't just from a standstill; it includes whilst slowly rolling up to the junction whilst driving in gear. I haven't had this with other cars. I can manage with it and drive to the car's characteristics, but it's not ideal by any stretch.

Mr Greedy you've got it in one .

And some have reported a few mpg improvement too because the exiting a junction is a classic as you input a bit too much throttle to get it going then the throttle plate plays catch up then you're going too fast wasting fuel .

It's two evils of a laggy stock set up , 1:1 cable was perfect decades ago .

What amazes me is it affects some serious performance cars .

There's a few laggy brains about , maybe it could help .

Last edited:
For what it's worth, this throttle delay (which drives me absolutely mad in my S65) is intentional. This is how Mr. Mercedes wants us to drive their cars.

For comparison, my wife's 5L supercharged Range Rover (prev. gen and same age developement as the S65) is far, far more responsive than my S-Class.

I've looked at boosters (even ordered one which came with the wrong plug and was sent back, at which point I lost interest) but the issues is not what boosters can resolve. They are undeniably helpful and better than nothing but it's the OE programming that none of the big tuners can touch (I've tried most of them).

Personally, I'm all for boosters or whatever can reduce the lag. Just waiting to finish my CLK pocket rocket, which (being run on standalone ECU) won't have any of that stupid standstill lag that makes me want to sell my S-Class sometimes!

PS: Ever looked at Mercedes driver making a 3 point turn? Poor bastid looks like he's taking a nap after every maneuver!

Last edited:
The more expensive remaps rather than generic from Big Fish Tuning , GAD and MSL go into the accelerator pedal developer coding to sort the lag sometimes it's not the issue and can sort it within the TCU gearbox developer coding .

Sometimes it's a bit of both .

The delay is there for one reason only , Eco and most Eco devices are massively flawed .

The more expensive remaps rather than generic from Big Fish Tuning , GAD and MSL go into the accelerator pedal developer coding to sort the lag sometimes it's not the issue and can sort it within the TCU gearbox developer coding .

The delay is there for one reason only , Eco and most Eco devices are massively flawed .
Def agree with Mr greedy on the junction issue!

I've made several inquiries over the last year about mapping out this issue, T/ECU, but always been told it's not possible.

I don't think there's any risk to compromising an existing ECU remap using a SB, but can anyone confirm...?

Yes on some the coding isn't there to adjust or is unable to .

SB is good for either stock or remapped software and many a comment is it actually felt a bigger difference than a remap waking up the car .

Def agree with Mr greedy on the junction issue!

I've made several inquiries over the last year about mapping out this issue, T/ECU, but always been told it's not possible.

I don't think there's any risk to compromising an existing ECU remap using a SB, but can anyone confirm...?
Although still not convinced SB will totally solve this issue as even flooring it there is delay, I.e. "resetting" the pedal height with a SB won't remove this?

Might try it though!

For what it's worth, this throttle delay (which drives me absolutely mad in my S65) is intentional. This is how Mr. Mercedes wants us to drive their cars.

For comparison, my wife's 5L supercharged Range Rover (prev. gen and same age developement as the S65) is far, far more responsive than my S-Class.

I've looked at boosters (even ordered one which came with the wrong plug and was sent back, at which point I lost interest) but the issues is not what boosters can resolve. They are undeniably helpful and better than nothing but it's the OE programming that none of the big tuners can touch (I've tried most of them).

Personally, I'm all for boosters or whatever can reduce the lag. Just waiting to finish my CLK pocket rocket, which (being run on standalone ECU) won't have any of that stupid standstill lag that makes me want to sell my S-Class sometimes!

PS: Ever looked at Mercedes driver making a 3 point turn? Poor bastid looks like he's taking a nap after every maneuver!
Just doesn't make sense to me to have this inherent delay especially in AMGs!

Aston Martin V8 Vantages are the opposite , too much , like a strong young energetic dog on a lead .

Although still not convinced SB will totally solve this issue as even flooring it there is delay, I.e. "resetting" the pedal height with a SB won't remove this?

Might try it though!

Yep, this is precisely the issue. The moment you touch the pedal you are presented with (what appears to be an eternity long) delay before the car even starts moving. No box exists that would solve this. Acceleration rate or the power are not part of all this. Annoying doesn't even begin to describe it.

This is the thing. My S-Class, it's engine or the 5-speed box have been made before all the Eco friendly features and the lag is still there.

The longer the delay the bigger the result with a pedal box , pedal tuner device .

Hense I'm on Race 9 and detached the controller .

20201130_203830.jpg

I hope those who have fitted this, or similar, devices will inform their insurers. They are quite justified in refusing a claim if a vehicle has an undisclosed modification.

NJSS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom