Sprint boosters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm in the long debating not purchasing camp! In essence they just mean that you need less pedal movement for the same response, so equivalent of a bigger shove with the boot, rather than removing drive by wire delay, right.......?

Yes - but based on my experience with the Suzuki, it does work! The car feels much more 'alive'. It's all about the pleasure you derive from driving the car, not about extra power or torque. If some people enjoy more driving a car with a modified accelerator response, then why not?

The negitivity all started 14 years ago when D¡ck Bipes from an American Mercedes forum produced a 'white paper' technical document which is massively flawed and I'm perplexed why other people can't see through the mist and fog , it's not complicated just one thing stands out !

Then 8 years ago we had Outback Joe , if I'm ever in need of amusement I head over for the latest comments .

Both set out to disprove....

But now we have YouTube and people filming dyno runs stamping the pedal , some filming both their throttle body and gass pedal relationship and some filming 0 to sixty times .

No one has yet mentioned this to poor old bareback Joe as he just wouldn't accept it as he set out to massively disprove something.

Now it doesn't work in every car and for good reasons...

So the SB arrived today about 11:30. Fitted as instructions.

😳 It most definitely improves throttle response in R9 "race" mode lol. I haven't tried the lower numbers but on R9 in comfort setting on the transmission it has improved greatly.

I put the transmission in S+ mode with the R9, the highest setting available and yes again improves the response greatly. I haven't tried S mode with is Sport setting on the SB. So you get stock mode. S mode for Sport and R mode Race mode 1 to 9 settings. 1 being the least 9 being the highest, most responsive.

I put the transmission in M mode with the SB in R9 well the gear changes were very very sharp indeed, for me to sharp. I need to adjust the SB to see which works best with the transmission in Mode

I drive 80% of the time in C mode, with the SB in R9 the response of the throttle is perfect it really does improve the somewhat lazyish C mode shifting.

I've only had a 40 minutes trial with it. But on first thoughts it has really shapend C mode up. Really happy thus far.

More investigation to be done with what SB settings works best with S S+ and M mode.

Nice piece of kit 👍😁

Every model of car can be different , mine must be even more sluggish than yours as Race 9 has been chosen and the controller detached and stored in the box .

It doesn't do anything on mine regarding the shifting .

Really transforms that seemingly dead first quarter of pedal travel .

Regarding the shifting, I think it's to do with the more responsive throttle. I say this because when in M mode previously no SB attached I could manually shift perfectly. With the increased throttle it will take time to adjust.

It has definitely made it quicker in C. Haven't tested it thoroughly, but it did seem to have an affect on the shifting in M mode. More than likely to do with the accelerator pedal. More investigation to be had on the M transmission mode.

C mode R9 is spot on 😁👍

IMG-20210608-WA0010.jpeg

🤣👍

Maybe it's just me but I don't understand the goal of altering the comfort mode. It's supposed to be more sedate on purpose. In my e63 I could drive all day in c mode flowing with traffic going about my daily business.
Surely the curve to the throttle response is by design too to give you more fine control when smaller amounts of throttle are required ie cruising, traffic, normal driving, parking etc.
Maybe it just comes down to personal preference but I don't even think there is any delay in throttle response on the standard car, I've not noticed it anyway

Maybe it's just me but I don't understand the goal of altering the comfort mode. It's supposed to be more sedate on purpose. In my e63 I could drive all day in c mode flowing with traffic going about my daily business.
Surely the curve to the throttle response is by design too to give you more fine control when smaller amounts of throttle are required ie cruising, traffic, normal driving, parking etc.
Maybe it just comes down to personal preference but I don't even think there is any delay in throttle response on the standard car, I've not noticed it anyway

For me, I find the MCT slightly lazy in C mode, the SB has eliminated that lazyness in C mode throughout rev range.

I don't like the car being in S S+ or M mode with town stop start driving, it's to egar Especially the dropping to 1st gear element.

With the SB in place in C mode it has brought the throttle response to life and like I said can still default to 2nd gear. I have found a massive improvement. Not for everyone. But I would recommend trying one, you can always send it back, if it's not for you!

Last edited:
Yes - but based on my experience with the Suzuki, it does work! The car feels much more 'alive'. It's all about the pleasure you derive from driving the car, not about extra power or torque. If some people enjoy more driving a car with a modified accelerator response, then why not?
Tbf, though, you did say that your built-in 'sprint booster' programme also changed the gearbox programming slightly.

The Sprint Booster won't enable an engine to produce any more power, but MB cars are notorious for a rather lazy throttle response in 'C', and sharpening that up will improve drveability, so the car will feel faster, even though the stopwatch shows the gain is marginal at best. I'd look on it as equivalent to sharpening up one's reaction time when the lights change.

Some cars have shown silly improvements with SB , their throttle plates not opening fully and huge delay giving huge timed improvements.

Screenshot_20210527-071603_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20210527-072149_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20200619-080446_YouTube.jpg

Tbf, though, you did say that your built-in 'sprint booster' programme also changed the gearbox programming slightly.

The Sprint Booster won't enable an engine to produce any more power, but MB cars are notorious for a rather lazy throttle response in 'C', and sharpening that up will improve drveability, so the car will feel faster, even though the stopwatch shows the gain is marginal at best. I'd look on it as equivalent to sharpening up one's reaction time when the lights change.

Personally, I have no interest in driving the Suzuki in Sport mode as such, other than as a form of fun - I try and drive the car as smoothly and slowly as it drives in Comfort mode, but with only a fraction of the accelerator pedal travel avaliable - quite a challenge! But, again, I have no interest in 'Go Faster' mods.

Some cars have shown silly improvements with SB , their throttle plates not opening fully and huge delay giving huge timed improvements.

View attachment 114253
Unless you made that up yourself to rattle chains (;) :D:dk:...?), there are only three possible conclusions from that result: either the car had a fault that the Sprint Booster corrected for, or the fault was corrected before the second run, or the whole thing is bollocks. Parkers quote the same 8.8 seconds for a normal Mini Cooper 1.6 petrol to 60.

'S bollocks, innit....

Unless you made that up yourself to rattle chains (;) :D:dk:...?), there are only three possible conclusions from that result: either the car had a fault that the Sprint Booster corrected for, or the fault was corrected before the second run, or the whole thing is bollocks. Parkers quote the same 8.8 seconds for a normal Mini Cooper 1.6 petrol to 60.

'S bollocks, innit....

More realistic.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

'S bollocks 2 innit...

Not nearly as much, but it's still with a touch of BS. It's a manual car; too many variables - clutch engagement, speed of gearchange. Let's see a similar recording using an automatic car, with quicker and entirely consistent gearchanges throughout; the comparison will then be truly representative.

Compensating for the known lazy throttle response in putting the power on with an MB box in C mode with gentle use of the throttle pedal I accept, and if the driver applies full acceleration immediately from a standing start every time I see no problem with the Sprint Booster enabling the power to come in a touch quicker each time from a standing start, but half a second quicker? Nah...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's fine I see it the world over the believer and non believing camps .

That a Sprint Booster improves the throttle response I don't doubt; the car feels faster and livelier for a given amount of throttle. Does it improve the acceleration time by half a second? That I see as the science, on the side of the non-believers, over the subjective view of the believers.

I've read D!ck Bipes' paper; it makes sense. Care to point out where the 'massive flaws' are?

Come on , seriously , it's right in front of you in plain sight !

Read it again and tell me !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom