Sprinter 311 2005 cutting out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kswift93

Car
Sprinter 311 2005
Hi all. Having a problem with my 2005 sprinter 311 2.2. It keeps cutting out when driving but I turn it of and on again and it's fine until it does it again a mile later. I've had the crank sensor and fuel pressure regulator changed and still has the same issue. Anyone else ever had the same problem? Thanks

Off the top of my head its possibly the cam sensor or wiring harness connection since it determines the point of injection.
Having shook hands with the crank sensor thru the ECM is goes SYNCHRONIZED as seen on a scanner. If it loses communication, the plot drops out and the engine stops .
The other quite "popular problem" is a spike in fuel rail pressure after say sitting at traffic lights or coasting in thick traffic as you punt the gas pedal, which causes the engine to cut out to protect the FIE equipment.
Really you need to hook it up to factory or Pro style scanner (like Snap On. Autologic, Xentry or say an Autel Pro to read the fault codes and get live data figures while driving to pinpoint the issue(s ).
That stated its not an uncommon problem, and you might want to start with new fuel filter if you haven't done so already as DIY first attack approach.
All the best
Tuercas viejas

Off the top of my head its possibly the cam sensor or wiring harness connection since it determines the point of injection.
Having shook hands with the crank sensor thru the ECM is goes SYNCHRONIZED as seen on a scanner. If it loses communication, the plot drops out and the engine stops .
The other quite "popular problem" is a spike in fuel rail pressure after say sitting at traffic lights or coasting in thick traffic as you punt the gas pedal, which causes the engine to cut out to protect the FIE equipment.
Really you need to hook it up to factory or Pro style scanner (like Snap On. Autologic, Xentry or say an Autel Pro to read the fault codes and get live data figures while driving to pinpoint the issue(s ).
That stated its not an uncommon problem, and you might want to start with new fuel filter if you haven't done so already as DIY first attack approach.
All the best
Tuercas viejas
Thanks for that matey. Like you say I'll start with the cheapest first the fuel filter. If this was an injector problem then it wouldn't run right at all is this correct? (Apart from cutting out)
Thankyou

Thanks for that matey. Like you say I'll start with the cheapest first the fuel filter. If this was an injector problem then it wouldn't run right at all is this correct? (Apart from cutting out)
Thankyou

Well cutting out can be the precursor of expensive things to come, such as the HPOP pump and or swarf expelled by a failing pump into the injector lines and injectors.
It happens due to a number of things such as poor quality fuel and/or water in the fuel system.
That stated the first thing (before you get the wind up), :eek: is to change out the filter if its hasn't been changed out recently!

Simply put, because IF a low effective feed pressure passing from the in-tank pump @ about 4,5 bar (65 psi nominal) is impeded by a possible clogged filter, (sited before the low pressure FILTERED flow ) hits the HPOP for onward high pressure delivery at about 245 bar in mix mode control it will often be below that optimum pressure . (Now once the rail pressure drops below 220 Bar just for a moment. it stops, or cuts out)

Now I am in a different territory to you where fuel quality is often suspect, and you can easily fill with #1 diesel in one state and scud into another where #2 is only available. Then you have all the bio content mixes according to state law, like B5 to B25 . Also if you pop into Mexico like the late Ronnie Biggs did in and out of the UK, ;) your fuel will be of much higher Sulphur content, all adding to the possible problematic scenarios.
So when we get a call in with a symptom such as yours reported, our first response over the phone is to change out the fuel filter, being cheap and cheerful . Often works for the most part !

Now as an observation on this side, we do see a gel like substances form in the rail which collects up against the rail pressure control valve.
Once that gets into the valve it causes the pressures to go out of control causing pressure spikes .
Again a new filter often clears it, although we bung a fuel cleaner into the tank like Standyne Performance Plus additive which is best described as a fuel system enema .
Hope that is helpful
Tuercas viejas

Hi all. Having a problem with my 2005 sprinter 311 2.2. It keeps cutting out when driving but I turn it of and on again and it's fine until it does it again a mile later. I've had the crank sensor and fuel pressure regulator changed and still has the same issue. Anyone else ever had the same problem? Thanks
Have you had any luck resolving this issue?

I've got a similar problem, though sometimes it doesn't happen for an hour of driving, other times every 5-10 minutes. Seem's like it's triggered at least some of the time by stepping on the gas pretty hard, though it can happen occasionally with only mild acceleration. High pressure fuel pump has been changed, which significantly reduced how ofter it happens, but has't stopped it. Can make a new thread but figured it might well be the same issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom