sprinter 312d throws belt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chimalsu

Car
clk 320 e
hi yesterday i started my sprinter and it immediately spit the belt off for no apparent reason .i had just drove for 30 mile on the motorway at 70 mph with no problems parked turned engine off for a couple of minutes tried starting and it spat the belt off.put the belt back on and drove the same journey home with no problems.anyone come across this before is it one in a million accurance, everything seems ok ie pulleys and tensioner, belt is in good condition.

Would guess you are talking about the serpentine belt ( also guessing it has one rather than a standard V belt drive) .

Was the steering hard against the stops ? could be the load of the pump that caused it.

yes it is the serp belt im talking about and the alternater seems ok ie charging and bat light off, and had no load at the time,might have had some lock on but certainly not full lock

hi yesterday i started my sprinter and it immediately spit the belt off for no apparent reason .i had just drove for 30 mile on the motorway at 70 mph with no problems parked turned engine off for a couple of minutes tried starting and it spat the belt off.put the belt back on and drove the same journey home with no problems.anyone come across this before is it one in a million accurance, everything seems ok ie pulleys and tensioner, belt is in good condition.

When the tensioners are worn they cause the belt to no longer run true.

Are the edges of the belt damaged?

the edges of the belt seem fine,going to take the belt off again later and check all pulleys if theyre ok i will change the tensioner

the edges of the belt seem fine,going to take the belt off again later and check all pulleys if theyre ok i will change the tensioner

I did mine a few weeks back, a 17mm hex bit is needed, other than that it was a 2 minute job.

German and Sweedish proved to be the best (cheapest) place to get a tensioner.

priced a tensioner at mb and they come in seperate parts ie damper, spring ,alloy body and pulley problem now is which part will be worn if its the tensioner at fault.
nick did yours come as one piece

priced a tensioner at mb and they come in seperate parts ie damper, spring ,alloy body and pulley problem now is which part will be worn if its the tensioner at fault.
nick did yours come as one piece

Mine came in the same pieces, there's no need to change the pulley or the spring.

I changed the damper, but it didn't help, so I had to change the alloy body which cured the problem.

I think I paid about £45 for the belt and the tensioner assembly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom