Sprinter 314 CDi limp mode

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adl205

Car
Sprinter
Hi all
I have a 2017 314 CDi Sprinter with a very weird issue.
Van drives perfectly well then when I hit a hill and require the turbo there’s no power and the van will not respond. Stop, turn off ignition, turn back on and all is well until the next hill. Diagnostics show a P2261-Y101 (divert air switchover valve). Merc star diagnostics also indicated an issue with the turbo showing an overboost fault. This has since been tested and checked and they cannot see any fault and all appears to be working fine. Anyone come across similar issues and any suggestions would be greatly received.
Thanks in anticipation (also praying)

Yours has a vacuum operated turbo control if I'm not mistaken.
Yes or no ? (Si or No Senor)
Had any water pump issues recently?
Tuercas viejas

Yours has a vacuum operated turbo control if I'm not mistaken.
Yes or no ? (Si or No Senor)
Had any water pump issues recently?
Tuercas viejas
Hi Tuercas

yes it has and I didn’t have any water pump issues. However we have got to the bottom of it as there was coolant found in the vacuum system. The coolant was crystallising and believed to be causing the intermittent turbo cut out issues. All sorted now and back to boost as and when needed. The boost reservoir (I think it was called) was full of bits of coolant.
pic is of the code given that potentially shows the coolant issue. (Tried showing a pic of the coolant in the reservoir but it was too large a file)

Hi Tuercas

yes it has and I didn’t have any water pump issues. However we have got to the bottom of it as there was coolant found in the vacuum system. The coolant was crystallising and believed to be causing the intermittent turbo cut out issues. All sorted now and back to boost as and when needed. The boost reservoir (I think it was called) was full of bits of coolant.
pic is of the code given that potentially shows the coolant issue. (Tried showing a pic of the coolant in the reservoir but it was too large a file)
adl205
Greetings from Denver (snow today) Springtime in the Rockies

First the overboost ,in fact the two stage turbo is controlled by a vacuum signal.
The system as you have pointed out is also connect to the water pump & control, which if its starts leaking internally means that coolant gets sucked into the control valves and congeals leaving deposits which cause valve seating issues.
Normally when I/We have to deal with a leaking water pump its prudent to change the vacuum control valve (bracket mounted) right on top on the water pump pulley post repair.
Additionally we disconnect the vacuum lines and purge it all out with carburetor spray and a shop air line. This avoids a comeback complaint with boost issues.

For us as an overview, about 80% of comeback failures are related to underboost problems caused by contaminated control valve malfunctions, and the rest are connected to an overboost condition.
Both will put the van into a limp mode which will clear once the engine is shut down.
I suspect, in your case the control valve(s) are not venting/controlling properly and the turbo remains in a high boost condition.
Since the control valves are cheap , the main one for us is about 28 bucks trade, we simply change them out, making sure the system and its pipework are absolutely clean, including the vacuum pipework.
This should be your first call to resolving the issue, BEFORE even suspecting the turbo internal scroll controls or boost sensor
Tuercas viejas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom