Sprinter 906 shock damper interchangeability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

firesnail

Car
Sprinter 311
I have some failed shock dampers (both front and rear) and am looking at repalcements. Are the 'heavy duty' and 'off road' versions physically interchangeable with standard ones, or is there some difference in the mountings or attaching hardware decided on and fixed at manufacture?

I ask because several product listings state e.g. for vehicles with standard chassis /heavy duty suspension / off road suspension etc. The potholes on my current regular route in Kent would certainly qualify as off-road terrain, but probably heavy duty is what I'm looking for. I know the correct standard duty part. Thanks for any guidance.

The heavy duty shocks use the same mounting positions and hardware as regular shocks on the front. The rears may be slightly bigger bushes but can't remember off hand.

Thanks CarFan79. For the rear, are those eye bushes not usually supplied with the shocks? If not, I see there are universal eye bushes available, but I'd need the dimensions to order. Mind you if I had all the dimensions I wouldn't be asking this question.

Yeah the bushes are pre fitted to the shocks. If I was at work I'd measure them for you but I'm still recovering from surgery 🤕🙈

No problem, I wish you a speedy recovery. Are you thinking then that the eye internal diameter(s) and hence mounting hardware/holes might be different, or just that there is more material on the bush?

No problem, I wish you a speedy recovery. Are you thinking then that the eye internal diameter(s) and hence mounting hardware/holes might be different, or just that there is more material on the bush?
The more I think about it the bolts are the same so think the bushes are probably the same too. The bracket on the axles are thicker on the 5T compared to the 3.5T which got me thinking about the lower bushes.

Ostensibly for the rears if you have 1 tonne van usually with with duallies then they differ from the 3/4 tonne model
Yes bolt and eye sizes are different.
Fronts are interchangeable but you do need to specify , low roof high roof, RV, Box Truck etc etc.
My best fit 'n forget install is Bilstein, being slightly better in ride firmness/. roll stiffness, than the standard production built Sachs.
They last longer too !
If you are going to DIY change them don't forget the top strut mounts and the cheap as chip dust sleeves for the strut rods .
Of course any front end replacement requires an alignment .
Cheers
Tuercas Viejas

Thanks Tuercas. The rear will be changed first. The vehicle is a European version chassis cab with 3500kg max gross weight, single wheels. The current shocks are now shocks only in name which is a bit like driving a brick. Front shocks will be done a little later together with some other work and an alignment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom