Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sprinterich

Car
w639 vito window licker van
Hi Guys I took the plunge yesterday and got myself an 08 sprinter recovery truck it's a 309 and I won it on ebay, I knew it was ex asda but it's still reg'd as a chiller van! it's been mot'd as a truck though! how do i change on the v5 does it need a vic? also what does 309 mean? another thing I'd like to know is how do I stop the traction control? I got stuck and wanted to gun it but the traction wouldn't let me at all it just made the engine sound like it was struggling when i appled throttle, I pressed the asr button and the light came on but it still struggled and woulnt let me floor it to get off the mud, so now my new truck is stuck! how do i get this awful traction control off? I could get it off the mud without it because my transit hasn't got tc and if i gun it she goes!! also when i started this morning a glow plug light lit up after starting for a while once started not before like other diesels I've had, is this normal? can the automatic gearbox oil be changed in these or are they sealed for life?
cheers guys
Richie

Hi,iirc the 3 is the weight and the 09 is the bhp so 3 ton 90 bhp,I am not sure about the traction control I doubt you can turn it off but you might be able to with star I guess.the auto trans oil can probably be changed maybe best speaking to you local mercedes Commercial dealer.i haven't seen many auto sprinters.

when i started this morning a glow plug light lit up after starting for a while once started not before like other diesels I've had, is this normal?

No, it normally means you've got a failed plug.

Hi Blackc55 tried to pm you yesterday after seeing your thread but it wouldn't let me message you cos i'm new!, will mine be the same 722 box and how much would you charge to do it? when i do tiptronic it goes 1234D is that normal as I thought it was supposed to b a 6 speed?, cheers

Its a 5 speed. I can get sprinters in my workshop easily so I cant do it for you.

oh no that's not good.

They are only about £15 each.

Hi,iirc the 3 is the weight and the 09 is the bhp so 3 ton 90 bhp,I am not sure about the traction control I doubt you can turn it off but you might be able to with star I guess.the auto trans oil can probably be changed maybe best speaking to you local mercedes Commercial dealer.i haven't seen many auto sprinters.

Hi it says 3500 weight on v5 I'm a bit disapointed about the second number! but it went well enough carrying a van the other day so I suppose it's got enough guts! according to other stuff I've read the asr button should turn it off but it made no difference, think I need to find someone good with mercs that has a star thingy that can help me out locally, trouble is I have already paid too much for the truck and am now pretty skint!

Its a 5 speed. I can get sprinters in my workshop easily so I cant do it for you.

They are only about £15 each.

Sorry can you get it in or not!? how do I find which plug is not working and if you can get me in the workshop would you do that too? I hope you can!!

If you really want the traction off you would have to cause a fault in it.. but beware they are very light at the rear end with no TC...

ours regularly does donuts around roundabouts when unloaded.

Im not sure where my earlier reply went but I recommend you change all of the glow plugs and relay... Also get a trans service done for peace of mind.

If you really want the traction off you would have to cause a fault in it.. but beware they are very light at the rear end with no TC...

ours regularly does donuts around roundabouts when unloaded.

Im not sure where my earlier reply went but I recommend you change all of the glow plugs and relay... Also get a trans service done for peace of mind.

so why put an asr button in the cab if all it does is put a light up on the dash! bit stupid! I just wanted to be able to get off my lawn! which i could have done if it would let me keep the momentum!!
I intend to get a atf service and new plugs but need to find someone in my area that knows their stuff I hate garages that have no idea! any garage round here would just drain the sump and put 3 litres back in so less than half the oil actually gets changed! I want someone I can trust that has done lots before and will put the proper oil in not just cheap motor factor universal stuff!!!!

chichester west sussex

How did you get tour tc off? is there a fuse you can pull! the button working would be better!

The button is working but it never turns the traction off totally...

Olly in portsmouth is closest but I guess he would have to work outside if it cant fit inside...

Sorry can you get it in or not!? how do I find which plug is not working and if you can get me in the workshop would you do that too? I hope you can!!

Apologies I meant to say "can't".

Use a multimeter to test what glow plug is faulty from the glow plug relay on the left inner wing.

Apologies I meant to say "can't".

Use a multimeter to test what glow plug is faulty from the glow plug relay on the left inner wing.

ahh no that's a real shame, how will a multimeter show me which plug's at fault surely they all get fed the same voltage?
is my truck the exact same gearbox as your thread?

Test the resistance of the glow plugs with a meter .
If you have a 5 speed it will be the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom