Sprinter Shocks, wipers, and power advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sprinter Saz

Car
2005 Merc Sprinter 311 cdi
Morning All
I have a 2005 Sprinter 311 CDI and am looking to get some advice about three repairs for my van. Thanks in advance for any advice.

1) I am looking to change the four shocks. The van carries medium to heavy loads, and has 180K on the clock. I've owned it for 18 months and don't know if the shocks have ever been changed.
- Do I need to buy the whole shock assembly, or just the piston part?
- Whats the easiest way to tell if I need a whole shock assembly; are there signs of wear I could see from underneath / feel whilst driving?
- The price of these parts varies greatly. Merc parts at the top end, half Merc price parts at the bottom end. Could anyone recommend a good quality part source / brand / breaker etc? Cost is a consideration for me.

2) I need to fit two new windscreen wiper assemblies. Both are shot. The wipers don't work on the fastest wipe setting, and sometimes swing off the edge of the windscreen on the drivers side.
- Any suggestions on where to get such an assembly? Merc or non merc parts? and how they compare in durability.

3) The van has always been gutless on hills whether its loaded or not. I've driven Sprinters for many years and its by far the slowest one I've ever had. Whilst this doesn't particularly bother me, I am curious as to why it might be so slow (speed gets down to 5-10 mph, 1st/2nd gear on a steep hill). I notice that it churns out some grey smoke on steep hills too. I replaced the fuel filter recently thinking that might have been it. This has made the running better on the flat, but no change up hills. Any ideas?

Regarding the wiper problem, do both wiper arms/blades park in there correct position at the bottom of the windscreen after the are turned off at the wiper switch?

Dec

Regarding the wiper problem, do both wiper arms/blades park in there correct position at the bottom of the windscreen after the are turned off at the wiper switch?

Dec
Hi Dec
Thanks for the reply.
Yes they sit at the same horizontal level as each other. They sync when moving but squeak loudly. At the bottom of the wiper arm, where it joins in to the body of the wiper (just behind the bonnet rim), you can see wear around the joint where the arm attaches. The washers are non longer circular in the centre, very clearly uneven wear. That's whats led to me to think I should get whole new assemblies.

In view of what you say about the wiper arm sometimes swinging off the edge of the windscreen on the drivers I would have thought that a reseating of the mechanism might be worth a try. I think that’s your mechanism/linkage pictured below?

If both wiper arms are secured tightly to their spinals then the problem might be a loose connection where the linkage connects to the wiper motor which would be located in the centre of the picture below. If the are becoming a bit rickety then maybe reseating every thing might help.

Picture source… https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=2005+Sprinter+wiper+linkage&_sacat=0

s-l1600.jpg

i.html

i.html

Thanks Dec. That's useful info to have. I'll try resetting. And yep, that picture looks familiar.
Much appreciated and best regards

Be sure wipers have parked and finished their sweep cycle before removing the ignition keys.

Dec

Be sure wipers have parked and finished their sweep cycle before removing the ignition keys.

Dec
OK. message received. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom