Sprinter Thefts...!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flash

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercs
Apparently, Sprinter vans are now being targeted by professional thieves around West London/Berkshire and they are using a low loader/lorry of some kind to steal them!

So just be careful – I leave ours inside the drive parked at an angel to try and make it difficult for them to steal it BUT if they really want to steal it then they can as there is no stopping these people that come prepared with a low loader/lorry crane! Sprinters I don’t think come with a anti tow devise that sets the alarm off…

I have been told that there have been six incidents in which Sprinters have been stolen by being loaded on to a low loader/lorry.

Last edited:
I told my parents to have a bollard fitted when the driveway was replaced last year, but they didn't. Seriously though, for about £100 each you can have some pretty heavy-duty bollards that no-one will be able to get through without some major effort.

Where do they go? Nigeria, like (some but not) all the other stolen Mercs?

jeremytaylor said:
Where do they go? Nigeria, like (some but not) all the other stolen Mercs?

I don't know where they are going BUT they have all been Merc Sprinter Panel vans (5/6 have been taken in a short space of time by being lifted on to a lorry of some kind) - word is that it is the Sprinters are being specifically targeted.

normally they target them as the theives find a flaw in the security system

Maybe they're stripping them for spares (engines/gearboxes/turbos etc) - I'd imagine most sprinters are pretty big to transport abroad?

Will

Will said:
I'd imagine most sprinters are pretty big to transport abroad
I saw a show a few years ago where containers were being searched and inside one was a beautiful pair of W210s, covered in protective wrapping etc with no licence plates on. Looked dodgy but turned out to be a legit export :rolleyes:

The best example was a blue subaru impreza parked at the docks with export documentation. Not reported stolen, docs seemed to match up. All seemed fine except that the HP company didn't know it was being exported, funny that! ;)

Shude said:
I told my parents to have a bollard fitted when the driveway was replaced last year, but they didn't. Seriously though, for about £100 each you can have some pretty heavy-duty bollards that no-one will be able to get through without some major effort.

The best bollards in the world come from the UK. There are electric ones with security recognition (automatic submerge) and can not be broken even when driven into with a truck.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2662029.stm

Flash said:
Apparently, Sprinter vans are now being targeted by professional thieves around West London/Berkshire and they are using a low loader/lorry of some kind to steal them!

So just be careful – I leave ours inside the drive parked at an angel to try and make it difficult for them to steal it BUT if they really want to steal it then they can as there is no stopping these people that come prepared with a low loader/lorry crane! Sprinters I don’t think come with a anti tow devise that sets the alarm off…

I have been told that there have been six incidents in which Sprinters have been stolen by being loaded on to a low loader/lorry.

I cannot imagine a better form of security than having an Angel looking after your car or van. Any thieves wilt surely feel the wrath of God! :D

GazCaff said:
I cannot imagine a better form of security than having an Angel looking after your car or van. Any thieves wilt surely feel the wrath of God! :D
I think a 1:1 replica of ED-209 stomping up and down the driveway would be more effective. Well ok, it would certainly keep *me* away ;)

91079803_3249296ba1.jpg

:D

Like I said IF someone wants to steal your vehicle bad enough then they will and there is no stopping them what so ever no matter what security devise/system you have!

I personally would not bother with a security bollard as if someone wanted to steal the Sprinter, for example, then they could use the low loader/lorry by following it and ceasing it when it is left unattended on a road.

I am certainly not doubting your very welcome thread and am merely wondering why?

The exporting suggestion does not make 'economic' sense :) . I say that in the nicest of terms as the usual method of exporting stolen vehicles is by container. The financial return the thief gets depends on the value of the cargo and a huge van simply takes up the space of a more expensive car, which costs the same amount to steal!! ;)

Looking at this from my illogical mind I have come up with less than honest types that are using these stolen vehicles as courier vans?? This is a growth industry and if you steal a vehicle then you have NO overheads, no road tax, no insurance and perhaps no fuel!! Simply fill it up and drive off without paying or perhaps steal another van? Modern Sprinters now have better security, do you have any ideas on what range is being stolen? Basic Sprinter, face lift, or the very latest new model? Your statement about panel vans might also be significant.

Thanks again for the alert,
John

Just to throw another idea in.....Maybe a big robbery is being planned!

dchaddah said:
Just to throw another idea in.....Maybe a big robbery is being planned!

:D :D Must be a blooking big one ;) Good point though, one lorry one driver one share of robbery!! six vans = six drivers! I had also thought of breaking them for spares, but thieves are usually not gifted in the manual labour department.

John the curious

glojo said:
I am certainly not doubting your very welcome thread and am merely wondering why?

The exporting suggestion does not make 'economic' sense

The vans are targetted for shipment to West Africa, vans and trucks are ideal as they are sent on Ro-Ro ships, and thus they can be filled to the gunnels with other stuff.

For example we filled a 4 wheel Bedford tipper lorry for a Nigerian with a Toyota mini bus (itself filled with photocopiers and toner) 12 Merc car engines, 2 lorry engines and boxes and 4 industrial compressors, 2 sets of W123 doors and numerous other smaller parts.

So long as the trucks and vans can make it onto the ship, you can fill them up...

nick mercedes said:
For example we filled a 4 wheel Bedford tipper lorry for a Nigerian with a Toyota mini bus (itself filled with photocopiers and toner) 12 Merc car engines, 2 lorry engines and boxes and 4 industrial compressors, 2 sets of W123 doors and numerous other smaller parts..
Hi nick,
As you can guess I am trying to be better informed. It sounds like you are doing a very noble deed by sending out all this equipment, but surely a roll on roll off ferry has the vehicles on full display? Plus of course the vehicle will be in a holding area before they get onto the ferry. Stolen cars, bits of cars etc are usually hidden away in containers just to get around all these problems. Officers from the stolen vehicle squads are frequent visitors to our ports and regularly seize vehicles bound for foreign shores. If these vehicles are on open display then it must be the Police officers dream come true? :D

John

glojo said:
Hi nick,
As you can guess I am trying to be better informed. It sounds like you are doing a very noble deed by sending out all this equipment, but surely a roll on roll off ferry has the vehicles on full display? Plus of course the vehicle will be in a holding area before they get onto the ferry. Stolen cars, bits of cars etc are usually hidden away in containers just to get around all these problems. Officers from the stolen vehicle squads are frequent visitors to our ports and regularly seize vehicles bound for foreign shores. If these vehicles are on open display then it must be the Police officers dream come true? :D

John

I suppose there's only so many people checking vast numbers of cars, trucks and containers on ships which can take upto 5000 cars at one go.

Plenty of vehicles must get siezed, but plenty must get through, and it's not like anyone cares when they reach their destination.

The Sprinters are the best vehicles in their league (apart from the rust/bodywork issue) as mechanically they can do 20 000 miles plus in between servicing and the engines are solidt.

Its is quite possible that they are being exported to a foreign market where they will get a good price for them (considerably more than selling in the UK market)

I do not know if they are all face lift Sprinters or not but one of them certainly was a face lift Sprinter and was a 05 plate.

Note: Alarm/Immobiliser on a Sprinter is an extra/option and is not standard. So all the thieves would have to do is change the ignition barrel plus 4* door locks (driver/passenger doors, side cargo door lock and rear door lock!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom