spy shots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for that...! :D

I'm not liking the lower sweeping roofline of the E-Class though...they're shooting themselves in the foot; the mahoooosive bootspace of the E-Class Estate is its strength...and they're ruining it.

The SL63's looking good though...

Last edited:
Had a good look at the GLK pics and found this piece of unwelcome news.
Prospective British buyers shouldn't get too excited: the GLK will come in left-hand drive form only, as it has been developed specifically with the US in mind as well as mainland Europe. It is not thought that demand will be sufficiently strong to justify engineering a right-hand drive version.
Question:- of the 100's of MB enthusiasts that frequent this forum has anyone been asked if they would buy one?:confused: I suspect its MB UK that doesn't want to import it .:(

Last edited:
Surely that's totally wrong - the GLK is more suited to the UK than the GL.

About to have a look @ the pics myself now - I thought I'd just chuck it on here. You lot 1st me 2nd you see ;).

Its somthing to do with converting 4-Matic to work with RHD, its not cost effective if it doesnt sell in large numbers.

And the GL is big enough to allow space for re-engineering ;).

Had a good look at the GLK pics and found this piece of unwelcome news.
Prospective British buyers shouldn't get too excited: the GLK will come in left-hand drive form only, as it has been developed specifically with the US in mind as well as mainland Europe. It is not thought that demand will be sufficiently strong to justify engineering a right-hand drive version.
Question:- of the 100's of MB enthusiasts that frequent this forum has anyone been asked if they would buy one?:confused: I suspect its MB UK that doesn't want to import it .:(

I think that MB feels that with the new taxes and restrictions on the 4x4s in the British market, not enough people will buy the GLK...

Plus, from their aspect its a win-win scenario - if there IS a massive demand for GLK's and a whole parallel market develops in importing GLK's into England they can still release a right hand drive version...

A rhd GLK would outsell the GL by 200 to 1, I would have thought. Still, I don't think we're going to miss much - looks like a VW Tiguan with a posh grille to me!

isnt the glk going to be the baby gl like the bmw x5 and x3 ????this would be to small for many people if thats the case as i need the seats and the space that my gl have..wasnt this car been tested early on in the year?:(

We've know GLK was LHD only for some time - the linked Channel4 front page says RHD only! but it's corrected in the sub-pages).

The 4Matic system used in the C Class (on which the GLK is based) simply wont fit into RHD as the steering colum gets in the way of the front propshaft. Damn shame - I really fancy a 4WD C Class - they're quite popular in parts of the US & Canada.

Rearding the X3 / X5 comparison, the GLK is supposed to be a smaller GL and isn't being linked to M Class, which is the obvious X5 equivalent. X3 hasn't really been successful, one reason being that its ride is horrendous. GLK is said to be more comfort orientated. It's a very confused segment!

We've know GLK was LHD only for some time - the linked Channel4 front page says RHD only! but it's corrected in the sub-pages).

The 4Matic system used in the C Class (on which the GLK is based) simply wont fit into RHD as the steering colum gets in the way of the front propshaft. Damn shame - I really fancy a 4WD C Class - they're quite popular in parts of the US & Canada.

Rearding the X3 / X5 comparison, the GLK is supposed to be a smaller GL and isn't being linked to M Class, which is the obvious X5 equivalent. X3 hasn't really been successful, one reason being that its ride is horrendous. GLK is said to be more comfort orientated. It's a very confused segment!

I see what you mean --the front differential is probably where the steering rack/column union would be in RHD.

I see what you mean --the front differential is probably where the steering rack/column union would be in RHD.

Here's a picture of the 4Matic setup in W204 (as used in GLK too):

9071211.006.Mini3L.jpg

Last edited:
But surely the diff would be central, and all that would be required is a re-designed steering rack. I mean, if Audi and BMW can do it with inline and V6 engines ... Never mind other SUVs offered in lhd and rhd.

But surely the diff would be central, and all that would be required is a re-designed steering rack. I mean, if Audi and BMW can do it with inline and V6 engines ... Never mind other SUVs offered in lhd and rhd.

Don't think so, the diff is mounted on the side of the sump which is a special casting with unequal drive shafts. You can see this on the picture Rory posted but its not very clear I admit. I'm still not entirely convinced that an elegant[ relatively cheap] engineering solution isn't impossible with a bit of lateral thinking from MB.

In yesterdays Autocar, MB UK were quoted as being desperate for the GLK, but re-engineering was ruled out by head office on the grounds of cost.

And yet the same re-engineered 'box could then be slotted in to the C and E classes.

All MB give us apart from the ML is the massive GL and R-class. Really relevant to UK motoring. Not.

GLK Spotted on the set of the new SEX AND THE CITY set, or should that be SEC's in the City?

The idea of the GLK, and the previous spy shots seemed terrible, but this looks nice :)

e_glk_priddy_2.jpg

GLK Spotted on the set of the new SEX AND THE CITY set, or should that be SEC's in the City?

The idea of the GLK, and the previous spy shots seemed terrible, but this looks nice :)
"Nice"? Hmm.... :) it looks very American, and girly, especially in white.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom