Sqeeling/ possibly sticking brakes

• Thread starter Deleted member 138290
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So, I purchased some mintex pads and attempted to replace them today as I’ve had the week off with my daughter. Anyway, couldn’t even get the sliding pins to budge so then decided to check the pistons as the old pads are worn down enough to move on the sliders ! One piston on the O/S was sticking but managed to free it with wd40 and crowbar, however after putting it all back together and trying the brakes I’ve now got red warning light saying brake fault, visit workshop ! If I disconnect batteries again tomorrow for say 30 mins will this reset the car ???

Are you sure that you topped-up the brake fluid?

And that you did not disturb the wires near the brake fluid reservoir?

Brake fluid is full but I will double check tomorrow that I haven’t disturbed anything under the plastic cover this time, cheers

Just checked fluid and wiring, everything is ok and car has settled overnight as no warning lights now. So, how do those sliding pins actually come out ? I thought a YouTube video showed them being punched out but now can’t find the clip so not so sure and don’t want to brake anything ?? The pads are now quite low

Just checked fluid and wiring, everything is ok and car has settled overnight as no warning lights now. So, how do those sliding pins actually come out ? I thought a YouTube video showed them being punched out but now can’t find the clip so not so sure and don’t want to brake anything ?? The pads are now quite low

The pins do corrode and seize, try carefully spraying a penetrating fluid around them (Not WD40 it is pretty useless) and if you can grip them work them back and forth, then use a punch to try to drift them out.

Once out either replace them or give them a through clean with an abrasive paper and apply a little Copperease or similar high melting point lubricant when re-fitting.

You take the carrier bolts out 18mm . remove the whole caliper. Then slide the carrier off the caliper , you'll need new slider pins . heat the old pins and remove with mole grips or stilsons. They are threaded and won't punch out .

Sorry this is for the rears. Oops.

Last edited:
You take the carrier bolts out 18mm . remove the whole caliper. Then slide the carrier off the caliper , you'll need new slider pins . heat the old pins and remove with mole grips or stilsons. They are threaded and won't punch out .

I have never come across threaded carrier pins.

The rears are. I do apologise he's on the fronts. My bad . sorry I'm on the lash .

Lol no worries atleast I’m prepared for the rears now when their ready ! I will have another look next week and buy some stronger penetrating fluid too

yes the fronts have a i think 10 mm small bolt holding them in , you can buy new slide pins from brake international around £9 . i use the ebay site as its free delivery and a bit cheaper.

these are them here ---- MERCEDES E CLASS W211 2x FRONT CALIPER SLIDER PIN KITS (BOSCH TYPE) BCF1355XCX2 | eBay

take note of the pin with the rubber end and be sure to put it back in the same place ...

Can’t say I’ve seen a 10mm bolt on the end of the sliding pins ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom