Squeak from Steering wheel area (dash)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jay2512

Car
X253 - GLC 250d AMG Line Premium Plus
Hi All,

Ive now had my 2013 C220 Sport Plus for a couple of weeks now and over the last few days it has developed the worst annoying squeak in dashboard/steering wheel area.

The squeak only happens when driving over bumps/potholes or other uneven road surface. It arises on the bumps over 20mph and the position of the steering wheel has no effect.

Its due in the dealer Tuesday morning but my impatiens has already led me to poke around. Ive taken off the lower kick panel (no effect on the squeak). I have poked around and only found the footbrake cable rubbing on the steering bracket. I used some foam an fixed in place, still the noise is there!!

Is there anything else I can try just in case the dealer cant find the issue??

Well, spent most of the day at the dealer and the engineers tried a few things and test drove the car in excess of 6 times with the listening equipment.

It would seem that the squeak noise is coming from just above the steering column but behind the dashboard.

So lucky me is having the dash taken out of a 5 week old car at the end of next week!! Probably end up with more squeaks and rattles.

dont you worry, mine squeaks in even more places and it is only two weeks old! a brand new A176...

Last edited:
Dealer had the car yesterday and today and can not fix the problem. It would seem that the noise is within the steering column and they are now waiting for MB to approve the fitting of a new steering column to a new car!

Well,

For those who wanted to know the dealer has finally got to the problem and so far - fingers crossed has fixed the issue.

The car had the entire dash removed to find out that the noise was still there!! So they also removed the bulkhead brace and still the noise was there.......

As the noise was on the bulkhead it was becoming clear that the noise must be on the outside of the car.

On removal of the wipers and plastic trim the dealer noticed straight away that the torsion beam which connects to each suspension strut and bulkhead noticed that the beam was making contact with the bulkhead and had removed the paint where contact appeared.

The torsion beam was removed and on the test drive the noise had gone, so to check a theory the beam was re-fitted in the same position as found and the noise returned.

After checking the factory fitting spec it would seem the torsion beam on my car had been fitted incorrectly and was about 3mm out on its true position - doesn't sound a lot but this is enough to allow the beam to come into contact with the body of the car.

So now the beam is re-fitted correctly, body re-painted and dash re-fitted and the noise gone and no extra new noises have appeared.

A job well done by Stafford Mercedes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom