Squeak in my ear...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercFanUk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Hi all, today I seem to have started getting a little squeak in my right ear. It's not constant, but appears when there's a loud(ish) noise around, such as a raised voice etc.

Anybody ever had this before? It's been happening all day and is getting really annoying :wallbash:

Go to the doctors and have it checked out.:doh:

Alternative is divorce the wife to reduce the noise, or go to the MB Dealer for a check-up, seeing as if this is an MB Forum.:rolleyes:

Could be a wax build up? My mother suffers similarly on occasions.

I have tinnitus, a constant "white noise" in my ears. Only conscious of it in very quiet environments.

Assuming your car is RHD then there isnt really much to the right of you to make the noise.

Could be your seat belt maybe.

;)

best to see a doctor if its still there tomorrow... humans are like cars... intermittent problems are a nightmare to diagnose so wait until its a constant pain the bum.

Will be booking myself in if it continues - with it only starting today I thought I'd give it a couple more days to see if it dissipates. Will also give my ears a massive clean to see if that sorts it too :D

It's not constant, so I don't think its (By this I mean I hope it's not) tinnitus!

It's not constant, so I don't think its (By this I mean I hope it's not) tinnitus!

Sorry to disappoint but my tinnitus is not constant. Think I'd much rather a 'pain in the bum', at least I could scratch it.
Do you work in a noisy environment? Even background low-level noise, if it's constant, can be an irritant.

Last edited:
Get it checked, my mother has a similar thing and discovered she suffers from Ménière's disease (similar to tinnitus).

Appointment booked, although it's not till monday. Squeak is still there, doesn't seem as bad (might just be getting used to it), although now that ear has a very dull pain too :S

I work from home, and its usually pretty quiet. That said, I do play a lot of music while working - not annoyingly loud, but I wouldn't call it quiet either.

Hope this helps. If you wear them that is. :D

Get well soon. :)

[YOUTUBE]NEFPldXp_u4[/YOUTUBE]

Just a tip if you think it may be related to a wax buildup that will require your ear(s) to be syringed...

Either get some ear drops from a chemist, or use (clean!) olive oil and drip a little into each lug-hole before going to bed each night before you see the Doc. Seal your ears up with a bit of cotton wool to avoid the oil running out and soiling the bedding (ooh-er :crazy: ). This softens the wax which will then be easier and much less uncomfortable to have removed. Also, if there's a significant hard wax buildup then the Doc won't syringe the ear unless you've softened the wax first.

In Japan they have booths at rail and bus stations where you can have the wax dug from your ears by young ladies with looong thin spoons!

Far more civilized than :wallbash:

Probably either wax or related to catarrh/eustachian tube dysfunction
If you are feeling congested, then try something like sudafed

Cheers all :) I'm hoping it's wax, I'll get the doc to syringe them nice and good, hopefully that'll cure what ails me! If not, then it sounds like I'm pretty much screwed lol

In Japan they have booths at rail and bus stations where you can have the wax dug from your ears by young ladies with looong thin spoons!

Far more civilized than :wallbash:

I recall a documentary in (I think) India where this sort of service was offered by men using what looked to be like very long tweezers. They were pulling out lengths of hard wax that were several inches long from peoples ears.

I'd be tempted to try it.

I recall a documentary in (I think) India where this sort of service was offered by men using what looked to be like very long tweezers. They were pulling out lengths of hard wax that were several inches long from peoples ears.

I'd be tempted to try it.

Don't try doing it yourself!

I used to get this when I was in the sea a lot.

It was called surfer's ear.

I was lucky in that it was mainly a problem with wax and dried out salty water causing debris.

Be careful if you go for the syringe, it's the nurse that does the actual syringing and some can be a bit boisterous with the pressure (you'll see what I mean). Make them stop if it feels uncomfortable, there's a rumour that it can cause a perforated eardrum - far worse than the occasional squuek!

BTW

Don't put anything smaller than your own elbow in your ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom