Squeak squeak Snapped Spring!

Discussion in 'Parts, Maintenance & Servicing' started by chrisk2010, May 24, 2018.

1. chrisk2010

chrisk2010 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C230 w203
    So two days ago a squeaking started all be it on and off but yesterday on the way home it was on.

I arrived home thinking it's the time of year when bushes start drying out but couldn't find anything wrong with them.

My gaze moves upward and low and behold the drivers side spring has snapped :(

I have never had a spring snap before but I know with some Mercs this job is a pain as the srping needs a massive amount of (head removing) compression. Not having a hydrualic spring compressor in the laying around in the shed i rung around and found one place that will do it for £240.

2. saff

saff Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E220 CDI Avantgarde W246 B180 CDI Sport
    changed the front springs on my 211 due to one snapping and it was a ball-ache doe to, as you say the massive compression required. Given that my springs were £100 the pair (MB) then £120 to replace both sides - I presume you are doing both - then it seems very reasonable. And much safer!

chrisk2010 likes this.
  3. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    I had both springs replaced on a 210 some years ago...£100 labour. £240...rip off.

chrisk2010 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    chrisk2010

Car:
    C230 w203
    I know it is but i haven't got a choice this garage is the only one that will touch it.

ECP priced the spring at £61 but when i grilled them about the the colour coding (two red dots one white) they didn't have a clue to quote "it just says sports suspension". So that didn't fill me with much confidence. I could take the shock and coil off and have it done but i don't have the time and i'd have to take it to this garage anyway.

So in this case i'm stuck with the bill as i need the car the weekend not to mention getting to work. It's just another one of those because it's a Merc things, if it was a ford, golf, vauxhall the springs would be here by now and i would do it tonight.

5. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Do both springs while you are at it. You will get the correct colour coded spring from SACHS/BOGE 998649 or MB themselves A2033214804

chrisk2010 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    chrisk2010

Car:
    C230 w203
    Well i was going to have both replaced BUT over a single malt last night while my better half was watching her soaps and i tune the world out with a blank expression on my face I got to thinking.

The left side looks in good condition (a bit too good) compared to the right and the car has always had a a bit of a pull to the right so i'm wondering if the previous owner maybe hit a pot hole and only had the left replaced.

Going by the feel of the car it would make sense and because i have never had a spring snap it just never occured to me i just assumed it needs a good alignment.

So i'm going to see how it feels after being replaced and aligned if not then i'll have the other one replaced.

grober likes this.
  7. 190

190 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2009 W204 C180K
    Some years ago I bought two new springs for my 190e to do the job right when one of them snapped. Because of the inboard springs it turned out to be the most horrendous job I'd every done on the car so the 2nd spring never got fitted. I measured the ride height carefully and both sides were the same and remained the same. I left it at that with no regrets. Still have the spare spring if anyone wants it. Free for collection near Macclesfield Cheshire.

chrisk2010 likes this.
  8. Haven't a clue!

Haven't a clue! Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C220 CDI (AMG body kit), plus top-down Mazda MX5 roadster, previously various company lease
    also had my f/n/s go 2 weeks ago, heard it "groan" after a 6"3' 22st+ passenger I'd given lift to meeting got out!
    Mechanic showed me it had snapped and halves messily wound around, fortunately got done at mates rates (son in the trade).
    Gonna tell the fella next time I see him to stop eating the pies!!

chrisk2010 likes this.
  9. cheddar

cheddar Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK63 AMG, s211 E320 CDI
    I had to replace one on my s211 320cdi just after I bought it back in march. the correct OE (sachs) spring was £30 from euro, easy to remove the strut as such, but I didn't have the correct spring compressor, so used a friends. was a nice quick job otherwise.
    had to be changed on mine straight away as it completely collapsed with a bang.

chrisk2010 likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    chrisk2010

Car:
    C230 w203
    Well the spring is all done and i'm £239.81 lighter! Part £54.00 Labour £145.84 and VAT, the labour is questionable as it's a two hour job at most in a fully kitted out garage but i have so much going on i didn't have the strength to argue it (like i usually would) and the car ofcourse feels better. I left a bit earlier today to get down some quiet roads and take roundabouts a bit more argressively than normal and i'm glad to report everything feels fine.

However a pet peeve of mine is why why why do garages not advise you of futher work needed! They must not needed the money lol.

One of the bushes or ball joints have gone and it sounds like a teenagers rusty matress and has an irritating squeak when turning the wheel. They could have at least called and said we've noticed this needs replacing would you like to go ahead while we have the suspension stripped for most of the day waiting for the spring to arrive. Also the drivers side wheel has lost it's weights i also noticed this morning so needs balancing.

Sorry for the grumble but it really wouldn't take much for someone while they are working in that area of the car to get a bar in and check things over which i thought would have been the norm.

There's a Formula One by me in Basildon which have been very good to me in the past with labour and parts being fair so I'll book it in there for them to balance the wheel and give the front end a check over.

wu56Shoozz likes this.
  11. carlls

carlls Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2009 e320cdi 7 seater sports estate
    had both my front springs done labour was £134 plus vat and £94 plus vat for the springs

12. Smart320

Smart320 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 ML350cdi Sport , Toyota RAV4 3 dr
    Had 2 front springs replaced on my eclass last year when had to be recovered into MB Chester when o/s Spring broke 200 miles from home. Cost was over £500 ! Only upside was done under Mobilio , got hire car ( new c-class ) and car was brought back to my home in Carmarthen on car transporter once repaired.
    They also found oil leak from top end and fixed that, total over £700

13. OP
    OP
    chrisk2010

Car:
    C230 w203
    Thanks guys, I could understand of they had charged the labour on both springs like your selfs but for one it seems a bit much.

However when they are the only people locally that will touch it they have you by the short and curly's so to speak.

14. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, MK1 Caddy, S500, etc
    From a garages point of view this is a tricky one. Unless you specifically asked for the rest/particular bits to be checked over, I dont think they should be expected to automatically check other things without being asked unless it is something obviously seen by just running an eye over. I can often hear people rolling their eyes when the guys here spot something whilst doing something else, and I tell them when I call. People dont have alot of trust in garages as sadly, so many people have had bad experiences, so when you say you have found something else they quite often think you are just having them on and trying to create extra work. Which is fair enough if they have been done over in the past! If you mention when you have work done that you have a squeak etc then I'm sure most would be happy to take a quick look whilst they are already there.
    Not trying to upset/annoy you but just think its interesting/important to hear it from a garages (my view in particular) point of view too :) Hope you get your car back to normal soon :)
    Natacha

Flackadder likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    chrisk2010

Car:
    C230 w203
    I totally understand where you're coming from i really do and if is was a little almost unnoticeable noise i wouldn't expect it to be caught.

When i used to work as a forklift mechanic we were always asked before signing off on any repair to do a quick check around that took all of ten minutes which involved checking the chains for wear, the condition of the forks, play in the wheels, condition of the seats and a few other things that basically just assesed the condition of the truck and gave the customer some advisories for preventative maintenance.

This was benificial to both the company and the customer as it made the customer aware of things that may be dangerous or due and the company got futher work from it leaving both parties happy. Once i found that a wheel wasn't torqued up and most of the nuts where loose so i jacked the truck up and was able to loosen some off with my fingers. I told the customer and they said another company had been out a few weeks before me to cut the tyres so i asked if they would like me to check throughly check everything and put down another 30mins labour. It was lucky because if that truck was carry a load at height and the wheels fell off it could have killed someone.

Now that being said if you could hear the metal scraping noise coming from under the area that was being worked in like a giant rusty gate being slowly opened in a horror movie every emabrassing turn of the wheel then i can't accept that this went unoticed.

I had a look under the car Saturday and found what i'm hoping is the problem.

IMG_0669.JPG IMG_0668.JPG

I had my son wiggle the steering wheel while checked what I could and the lower control arm bush looks in a pretty sorry state. The drop link has no play but was making the faintest of faint squeaky noises but had no play so it's probably just dry. The rusty gate sound almost sounds like it's coming from the steering rack so i checked the fluid which is spot on when cold and hot.

To confirm my suspicion yesterday i took it back to the garage that done the work at 8am when they opened and an hour later they walked me under the car confirming they also think it's the bush.

I have the booked in with them but i have also ordered a cheap Meyle wishbone which if arrives before the weekend i'll fit and cross my fingers.

I would like to state at this point though I'm have no ill feeling against the garage having been a mechanic myself i know exactly what it like having customers expect something for nothing however, they did carry have the car stripped for most of the day (according to them) and an initial assement should really have been carried out as something causing a spring to snap may have caused futher damage. It would have lined there pocket and i would have been much happier for it and left them a five star review stating how wonderful they are instead i left them a 4 star reveiw as they did indeed do the job and nothing more.

I'm not angry i'm just dispointed ;)

16. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Disappointed would seem to cover it. The incident which delivered the "coupe de grace" to the spring may have contributed to the demise of a bush that was probably on its way out anyway. As you said a brief road test after the repair should have highlighted there was still a problem. It remains moot whether they did this and kept schtum or simply didn't road test the car after the repair. I guess they may have experienced too many " you repaired it so you sort it " complaints from unreasonable customers before?

17. OP
    OP
    chrisk2010

Car:
    C230 w203
    It really is just disapointment with a little frustration as it's just more time for the car to be off the road and you know what garages are like, never open weekends (saturday is a swear word) so it's can you bring it in tuesday lunch time or 8am and I'm at work so it's always a no.

They did however test drive it. Must have been witht he windows closed and music up lol

"I guess they may have experienced too many " you repaired it so you sort it " complaints from unreasonable customers before?"

Well on this occasion it sort of went the other way because they didn't point it out i thought maybe they hadn't put the rubber back in the shock or something like that. If it had been then i would of course have given the go ahead while it was there saving us all time and money.

grober likes this.
  18. Rory

Rory MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C270CDi Estate (2004 facelift model)
    I had both of mine done at MB Chester - I just looked back and it was 2014. The broken side was covered by WarrantyDirect and I had to pay for the other side. Don't know why but they slightly discounted the price to WD even though I told them I had full dealer-rate cover, and they discounted the other side a bit more for me - so WD's invoice was a bit over £200 and mine a bit under. I called one of the local indies and they said it'd be £180 per side.

So allowing for the time difference £240 isn't too horrendous.

chrisk2010 likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    chrisk2010

Car:
    C230 w203
    Thanks Rory it makes me feel a little better about the price.

Bit of an update, after the gargage looked at it the noise got much much worse so what ever he has poked his pry bar with has helped it along.

I replaced the lower control arm and it improved very slightly but it is still there but it did confirm the ball joint was completely gone. Which is why i brought the control arm and didn't just re bush them in the press and if one has gone it's a good bet the others have too.

IMG_0426.JPG IMG_0427.JPG

This is going to bring forward what i intended to do a bit later on in the year when i have some scheduled time which is replace the upper and lower control arms, tie rod ends, anti roll bar bushes and drop links get under there have a good clean and give everything a coat of hammerite and waxoyl and then go get a nice 4 wheel alighnment.

An annoying little suprise i found when i removed the splash guard was a snapped Anti roll bar bolt on the passenger side which I'll have to give some attention.

20. OP
    OP
    chrisk2010

Car:
    C230 w203
    A little update the horrible grinding noise has been found and fixed.:)

Was it any of the above the noise ad me chasing around car, which at one point i was giving the steering rack an suspecting glare whilst stroking my chin like an evil villain?

No it was none of that at all, embarrassingly it was the heat sheild hitting the steering column.

After having a good look around for the first time since owning the car though it does need some attention so I still plan to replace anything with a bush in the next couple of weeks.

zipdip likes this.