Squeaking Clicking Belt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrhanky

MB Enthusiast
Car
Superb 3.6 4x4 & W221 S500
I think I need a new S/C belt as my engine has developed an annoying loud squeaking and clicking noise from the belt area.

I thought it might be a pully / tensioner, so I squirted some lubricant on to the belt and the noise went for about thirty seconds. Another application of lubricant duplicated the same result.

So Im thinking perhaps the S/C belt is glazed / worn and needs replacing. Does this sound about right to other owners?

Second question is where to get the belt from, Im guessing probably Merc dealer would be best.

I think I need a new S/C belt as my engine has developed an annoying loud squeaking and clicking noise from the belt area.

I thought it might be a pully / tensioner, so I squirted some lubricant on to the belt and the noise went for about thirty seconds. Another application of lubricant duplicated the same result.

So Im thinking perhaps the S/C belt is glazed / worn and needs replacing. Does this sound about right to other owners?

Second question is where to get the belt from, Im guessing probably Merc dealer would be best.

I've just change my tensioner, idler and both belts. I had a squealing noise too when the engine was cold on my CL55 Kom and now it's quite again.
I recommend changing both belts and the tensioner as that was the cure for mine. Both belts cost about £70ish from The dealership.

I've just change my tensioner, idler and both belts. I had a squealing noise too when the engine was cold on my CL55 Kom and now it's quite again.
I recommend changing both belts and the tensioner as that was the cure for mine. Both belts cost about £70ish from The dealership.

Thank you, when you say tensioner is that the s/c or serp belt one? and how much did they cost?

I had a little look at the serp belt and couldnt see where to ease the tension off.

there's a clutch on the s/c - it's metal to metal so almost all "chirp" when the s/c engages - typically when you've been driving very gently then press the fun pedal a bit

Thank you, when you say tensioner is that the s/c or serp belt one? and how much did they cost?

I had a little look at the serp belt and couldnt see where to ease the tension off.

Well I changed both. The serpentine belt tensioner tends to make quite a bit of noise when the bearings start to go. There is a bolt underneath the belts, just underneath and slightly to the left (if you're facing it) of the tensioner pulley that requires a 17mm socket turned anti-clockwise to relieve tensioner on the belt. It's not visible, just use feel. The idler pulley is the one on the s/c belt located just to the side on the supercharger. How that makes sense.

This YouTube video helped me a lot. At 3:20.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uBp2b0X-X1M

That video was great and a big help thanks.

I picked up a new belt from my Mercedes today and it took less than five mins to fit. It has solved the noise issue which is great.

I spoke with the Merc Tech and he said that they stretch and degrade over time and are only really good for 30k. I dont know if that is true but I compared the old belt and it was a little stretched.

Interestingly the merc belt is a gates belt which can be ordered online alot cheaper.

there's a clutch on the s/c - it's metal to metal so almost all "chirp" when the s/c engages - typically when you've been driving very gently then press the fun pedal a bit

So did you change s/c pulley?or just live with it.

That video was great and a big help thanks.

I picked up a new belt from my Mercedes today and it took less than five mins to fit. It has solved the noise issue which is great.

I spoke with the Merc Tech and he said that they stretch and degrade over time and are only really good for 30k. I dont know if that is true but I compared the old belt and it was a little stretched.

Interestingly the merc belt is a gates belt which can be ordered online alot cheaper.

Happy to hear you've sorted it.
Last time I changed the two belts on my 55 was 40k miles ago and I found that they stretch and started getting noisey too. I changed mine yesterday and on my trip to Scotland today not one noise or squeal from the engine bay.

So did you change s/c pulley?or just live with it.

I believe all 55 kompressors build before 2007 have the 'chirp'. After 2007 the clutch design was slightly changed to allow for a softer clutch engagement. I just live with mine.

Good to know thanks, mine has the "chirp" as described, tootal along and when you give in mild right foot the "chirp" is there.

Where do you actually apply that stuff mate(ime no mechanic)

Blooming heck I started that post!!!!

lol I know...but don't worry we regularly discuss the same topics on a regular basis:D

Blooming heck I started that post!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom