Squeaking near front of car...I think!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

light warrior

Car
Mercedes 190 carb 1987 White
Hi,

I have a really irritating squeak and as with all noises its a bit hard to trace

When driving slow the squeak; a bit like floorboards squeaking, is noticable, i.e. people turn to see whats making the noise, when I drive faster the sound isn't so noticable.
When I turn the steering left or right it squeaks, when I drive straight on it squeaks, if i go over rough ground or break sharply, it squeaks.

Things I've checked:
  • Checked Ball Joints
  • Used a can of WD40 on any bush or joint I can find
  • Anti roll bar bushes look new
  • Put car on ramps and tried to trace squeak from underneath
  • WD40'd anything that looked like it would squeak lol
  • Shocks seem ok; when pressed they spring back and stop.
  • Power Steering fluid level is ok although it isn't clear, its murky
  • Finished WD40 Can, i a vain attempt to solve problem.

so... can you guys suggest anything?

best regards Lee :confused:

light warrior said:
Hi,

I have a really irritating squeak and as with all noises its a bit hard to trace

When driving slow the squeak; a bit like floorboards squeaking, is noticable, i.e. people turn to see whats making the noise, when I drive faster the sound isn't so noticable.
When I turn the steering left or right it squeaks, when I drive straight on it squeaks, if i go over rough ground or break sharply, it squeaks.

so... can you guys suggest anything?

best regards Lee :confused:
Stray rodent ?

Sorry - shouldn't joke ! Hope you find your squeak. Definitely not coming from inside the car ?

S.

lol!

no definitely outside, I think i'm going to have to take it to a MB dealer, which I loathed to do as they ripped me off last time I went.

Could it be from the front brakes? Either the pads slightly rubbing or more likely a stone lodged somewhere and rubbing on the discs.

Also, WD40 is not the ideal thing to use on bushes and joints, it is so light it can actually end up drying the joints. Better to use waxoyl or spray grease in an aerosol.

Hi Jimmy, thanks for the advice re wd40, will purchase some waxoyl.
It doesn't sound like a brake squeak if you know what i mean.
but will check anyway.

I popped to MB garage and asked them to have a quick look and they told me to slacken the bottom arm bolts a fraction to see if that was the cause, they also recommended i don't spray everything with WD40 lol! will purchase some arm bushes as matter of course as they are starting to look worn.

Q. Is it fairly easy to replace these and is the anything I should look out for or be aware of before I do this?

they also said it wasn't the shocks, they're fine.

purchased some waxoyl and will apply a little to suspected areas and report back. the quest goes on...

Last edited:
light warrior said:
Hi Pluggers, I think you maybe right, just ordered a steering damper from ECP

Did you try the stealer for a price on the damper? They are usually very good on steering dampers.

Generally they dont make a noise, just the seals go and they develop a leak.

light warrior said:
purchased some waxoyl and will apply a little to suspected areas and report back. the quest goes on...

Try Finish Line. Used for mountain bikes mechs it comes out of the can as a very runny liquid and really gets into those difficult places but soon sets up to be a "dry" lube.

Waxoyl always remains a bit waxy (duh!) and so tends to attract grit. Finish Line really seems to work better all round and is cleaner. Halfords sell it.

will take the advice onboard Satch, I have already waxoyled, but i still have the squeak, but now it only happens when i turn to the left, strange! maybe I had two squeaks and solved one with the waxoyl. I didn't know there were so many joints, bushes and pivots on a Mercedes lol! its a technological work of art, lol!

next step, replace bottom arm bushes.

the quest continues...

Bottom arm bushes?

Are they the little rod things about 6 inches long?

Agreed, thats a brave job.

For info, mine used to crash over badly surfaced roads (i.e. most of the UK) until I got mine done, fine now

I had a squeak on mine, caused by a knackered accessory belt.

Have you checked condition of this ?

i have this squeak too on my w201 2.0 auto. if i drive slowly and turn the steering wheel to the left and right you can hear it very well.

but not only that! when i drive (slow) over a speed ramp the front end want to move to the right or to the left! what can this be?

i had some play on both front wheel barrings but i changed that, no play any more.

had a similar squeek on my wifes alfa once - replaced front brakes and all was quiet again

thanks, but the brakes are fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom