Squeaky gear selector lube perhaps?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darragh1

Hi again,
E250 estate 2010 wdd2122032
When i shift the auto gear selector from P there is a little squeakiness from the lever moving, feels like plastic on plastic perhaps. If I remove the cowl and or surround is there a type of lube I might spray in there?
I also have a similar sounding plastic on plastic sound squeak when turning the steering wheel seems to be at where the wheel is secured. Is there a procedure, or again, a type of lube to make it go away?
Thanks for listening,
D.

Your shifter bushing could probably be worn?
Do you notice play in shifting?

You could try using dry lube if you are very careful and know what you are doing?
Motip has a dry lube.
Don't spray gunk into the electronic shifter!

Your shifter bushing could probably be worn?
Do you notice play in shifting?

You could try using dry lube if you are very careful and know what you are doing?
Motip has a dry lube.
Don't spray gunk into the electronic shifter!
The gears work as they should and the selector has no play. I took off the gator for a look today. The squeak is where the chrome rod turns the bend from P to R. It rubs and squeaks. Probably as a result of a previous owner may have used the shifter as hand rest while driving. Maybe wear and tear. I doubt it is shift rod bushing related.
I didn't use dry lube. I rubbed a little silicone grease with my finger along the run of the PRND channel.
Squeak gone.
I might just take up the gator again to make sure no silicone drips into the electronic shifter.
Thanks for the advice.
D.

Attachments

• 20220821_210128.jpg
    20220821_210128.jpg
    710.6 KB · Views: 4
I removed the gator again and cleaned out the silicone grease. There is just enough so the surface is clean but no squeaks. I must get some of that motip dry lube to have it.

Squeaks can be really anoying!
Glad you sorted the problem.

one more thing....should the gear selector PRND E/S illuminate? There is one little wiring block with three wires on the underside.

one more thing....should the gear selector PRND E/S illuminate? There is one little wiring block with three wires on the underside.

Yes gear selector should illuminate

Yes gear selector should illuminate
I think so too. Please note attached photo of underside of gear selector switch. There was one little block with three wires connected into the receiver on the right.
There was a half a kind of receiver on the left but nothing was plugged into it and no evidence of any other stray wire needing a home.
So, if it should illuminate, which wire is for the led? Or if it is possible it isn't supposed to light up I would avoid getting a new switch.
While I'm on the case, is the main headlight switch meant to illumimate? Mine doesn't. I have that ambient? illumination under the line of the dashboard if that matters.
Thankles,
D.

Attachments

• 20220827_201225.jpg
    20220827_201225.jpg
    777.1 KB · Views: 6
When you bought your car do you remember if shifter console illuminated when you put the headlights on?
You might have a fried fuse?

If you have a multimeter you can see which one is live wire when the unit is connected.

My dad has an e200 and his gear indicator doesn't light bur i think it used to. I took his apart and he has the same set up as mine. That was a great story wasn't it.
I'll try and locate he fuse and break out the multimeter. In my boot rhere are fuses behind a pink and a yellow cage. How do I access these without breaking something?
Anyway, thanks for the patient replies,
D.
Ps.Still no squeaks from the selector lever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom