Squeaky noise from dashboard!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ian1676

Car
2008 CLS320 CDi Obsidian Black/Basalt Grey Leather/Silk Burr Walnut
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions - I have an irritating squeaking noise coming from behind the dashboard in my 2008 W219 CLS. It started a couple of weeks ago and only occurs on certain road surfaces and at certain engine speeds (and only between 20 and 30mph). It's coming from behind the central air vents - slightly to the left (passenger side) - not affected by fan speed though. I've had a play around under the bonnet/scuttle area/glovebox/under the dash etc. Couldn't see anything loose/nothing dropped down between the dash and the windscreen.

How easy is it to get the central airvents/Command unit out to have a nose around?

Any ideas? Even beginning to annoy the wife who doesn't normally care about me fretting about my cars making odd noises!! Thanks!

Does it still do it with the CD changer panel open?

My W219 passenger headrest rattles all the time and it does my head in. According to the internet its a common issue. I have taken the mech apart and cant see any solution.

Does it still do it with the CD changer panel open?

My W219 passenger headrest rattles all the time and it does my head in. According to the internet its a common issue. I have taken the mech apart and cant see any solution.

All the CD's just get fed in the slot on the Comand unit - there's no panel that opens up (I did have the panel on my old W211 E Class).

Similar noise in my 2012 w204 executive se, slight squeaking for first mile or so after start up, seems to come from top/ central dashboard area, definitely sounds like a plastics issue as opposed to something mechanical, wonder if it's temperature related?

Similar noise in my 2012 w204 executive se, slight squeaking for first mile or so after start up, seems to come from top/ central dashboard area, definitely sounds like a plastics issue as opposed to something mechanical, wonder if it's temperature related?

I agree - it sounds like a plastic issue. It doesn't seem temperature related though - did it cold this morning and when I was nearly home this afternoon after approx 200 miles!

Only solution so far is to turn up the radio!

Anyone got any advice on removing the Comand unit and/or central air vents - a nose around will surely do no harm!

It will be the only way you will find it. Start stripping and driving until you find where its coming from.

Have a look on YouTube for videos on how to remove it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom