Squeaky Roof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hawkwind

Car
CLK 320
The roof on my W208 CLK convertible squeaks a lot when driving over uneven surfaces.

I got some silicone rubber conditioner and applied it to the rubber seals I could see, not sure I got them all.

Any suggestions to stop the squeaking please, it's starting to drive me mad :doh:

Squeaky roof.

The roof on my W208 CLK convertible squeaks a lot when driving over uneven surfaces.

I got some silicone rubber conditioner and applied it to the rubber seals I could see, not sure I got them all.

Any suggestions to stop the squeaking please, it's starting to drive me mad :doh:

Volkswagen found that the convertible Eos roof seals squeaked and recommended an application of a product called Krytox to stop the noise.

eBay item number:

Not my sale.

Derek.

I may have managed to cure my roof :)

Luckily I spotted an add on e-bay for a roof frame and looking at the picture managed to see where all the hinges are located. So this afternoon, gave each one a little squirt of WD40 and so far so good.

I had noticed that the squeaking is worse in colder temperatures, which led me to believe it was the hinges expanding/expanding, causing the noise to change.

Well I'll soon find out, once the weather gets cold tonight.

I would like to use something other than WD40, maybe wax based. Any recommendations?

Squeaks are always more audible in the lower ambient temperatures.

WD40 is not a lubricant so could only ever have been a short term relief.

On my Vario roofs I use Krytox annually (towards Christmas time) on everything and anything that engages/disengages through the opening/closing of the roof, not just the rubber components, thereby effectively creating a slip coat.

My cars are coupe quiet with the roofs up.

You now know where the application points are so I think Krytox is worth a try.

The lady at GBR Technologies (source for Krytox) is very helpful 0118 982 0567

I use there GPL 105 applied by finger and or a small piece of sponge.......I think they may do a spray but that could prove to be wasteful for what on the face of it is an expensive product. On the other hand a 30cc bottle will do my SL at least twice.

View attachment 49221

Mic

Last edited:
Well I seem to have killed two birds with one stone.

I changed the rear window height regulators today and it also seems to have cured my squeak :cool:

Happy bunny :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom