Squeal when on full lock in reverse?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MatthewUK

Car
2013 C220 CDI Coupe
Hi Everyone,

I have noticed that a squealing noise is coming from my engine bay when I put my car on full lock. On the last service which was done less that 4k miles ago, I did have the pulley and tensioner replaced which is located near to the front of the engine just behind the front bumper however the noise is still occurring with the car? I have noticed it mostly only happens when I am in reverse and trying to get into a space but cannot replicate the noise when the car is in 'D' (drive) as it has an automatic 7G transmission.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated?

Typically this sounds like a slipping belt on the power steering pump when it is under load

As already stated this is typical of hydraulically assisted power steering when it's up against its limit stops. Try reducing steering lock ever so slightly- if the noise goes away- you have your answer- there is no-fault.

Hi Everyone,

I have noticed that a squealing noise is coming from my engine bay when I put my car on full lock. On the last service which was done less that 4k miles ago, I did have the pulley and tensioner replaced which is located near to the front of the engine just behind the front bumper however the noise is still occurring with the car? I have noticed it mostly only happens when I am in reverse and trying to get into a space but cannot replicate the noise when the car is in 'D' (drive) as it has an automatic 7G transmission.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated?
I have had this exact thing but nothing bad happened for the 100000 miles I drove it like that. I had the belt changed and then the sound came in reverse on full lock. I don't think anything serious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom