Squealing brakes can save your life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

duncanh

Car
BMW 520d SE F10, formerly c220cdi estate (for 12.5 years and 345k miles), before that w124 and w210
I had a bit of brake squeal, so I thought I would clean up the pads and put a bit of grease on the calipers.

Look what I found when I got the front wheel off!

tyre.JPG

I dread to think what could have happened if it blew at speed.

Any thought about what caused this? The suspension seems OK, no wear, no problems. The pressure was OK. My only thought was that I must have run over something sharp. The rest of the tyre is OK.

The tyre is a Goodyear Hydragrip, 195/65 X 15V, manufacture date 2607.

yikeys :eek: :eek: :eek: Like you say - lucky find and glad you found it in the way you did. The other does not bear thinking about.

Usually if you run over a very sharp object it either slices the tyre or penetrates. That looks like the wheel has locked and maybe slid over 'something'?

Well spotted and thank goodness it never went bang.

Regards
John

Just goes to show regular checking of tyres. You were really lucky not to have been on the motorway at high speed.

The tyre is a Goodyear Hydragrip, 195/65 X 15V, manufacture date 2607.

Glad you're safe mate and nothing terrible happened ....

I've heard about these tyres brought back from the future being dodgy .... ;) Tee Hee ...

Seriously , good job , could have been nasty .... :(

I would not have spotted it under normal circumstances. The damaged part of the tyre was on the inside. The front of the W203 is fairly low, so I would probably not have seen it without taking the tyre off.

The scary part is that I travel on the M4 and A34 every day.

I got four new tyres this morning. I was going to only get two, but then thought that I would feel a lot happier knowing that they had all been changed. (I would have needed to change the other two in a couple of months anyway).

Pirelli P6000s this time.

I'd get the whole steering geometry checked if I were you.
That tyre was worn on the edge anyway.

P6000s - why not?

I would personally rethink the P6000s

What do you know about P6000s that I don't?

Please share your information.

My car was supplied new with P6000s, surely if they are good enough for Mercedes, they can't be that bad?

P6000's are an outdated tyre , there are a lot better tyres around in terms of performance , longevity , noise , grip etc etc ....

They were terrible on my old CRX VTEC , i swore i would never have another set and never have.

I would think again.

There have been a few threads discussing the P6000 , have a search.

The P6000 supplied with my car did exactly what you have. ( I realise yours is a Goodyear).
The tyre reinforcement has given way allowing the tyre to go out of round and wear the tread at one particular point.
On mine the tread was lifting off the carcass.

Michelin all the way from now.

Goodyear F1 assymetrics ........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom