squealing from rear of the e-class w211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zubear

Car
E-Class Coupe
need a bit of help sometimes when i reverse my car i hear some squeeling sound from the rear just wanted to no what that is. does not happen all the time. my first thought was that its the rear brakes so im think to change those rear brakes. im hoping it nothing to serious its on a w211 e-class 320cdi. can anyone help.

Sounds like you have a problem with the brake pad spring clips on the rear calipers. That or perhaps some problem with rear brake shoes or return springs on the drum brake/s of the handbrake

Sounds like you have a problem with the brake pad spring clips on the rear calipers. That or perhaps some problem with rear brake shoes or return springs on the drum brake/s of the handbrake

brake pad spring clips seems to make sense sitting very close to the disc is that unusual? if it was brake shoes how much we look at. would the return springs affect the front aswel or is that seperate.

The entire rear brake assemblies last a long time "wear wise" as they don't do most of the braking. Usually its corrosion that seems to "do for " them rather than anything else. Although your problem is possibly trivial I am a great believer in complete rear brake rebuilds - new discs, new pads, new hand brake shoes+return springs, even reconditioned calipers if badly corroded. The parts are cheap compared to the labour costs involved and working on the principle that you may as well do it all while you are in there. you can then forget the rear brakes for another 40,000 miles. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom