Squeek when engine turns off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jryans10

Car
Mercedes-Benz A140
Hi,

Does anyone know what could be causing this on my 2000 Mercedes A140 Manual?

Whenever I turn the engine off, most of the time I get a really quick squeek that lasts for about 1 second, so it's very quick but quite loud.

I took it to a garage and they told me it's the clutch that is going and would cost £700 to repair, however, when I press the clutch pedal in and turn the enigne off, the squeek still happens which has made me start to think that it might not be the clutch although I'm not sure.

I have noticed that if I have my window open and close to stalling while moving off, there is a squeek that sounds exactly the same so I'm really confused, I have a feeling it is the clutch however my main concern is that it could be an engine component?

Any idea's if it is actually the clutch? Also does £700 sound reasonable?

Thanks all.

Can't understand how they think it's the clutch - if it had ben the thrust bearing, by switching off with clutch in then it wouldn't have happened (unles the thrust bearing is in constant contact with the pressure plate).

Take a look at the engine mountings & the exhaust heat shields yourself - when you switch off and/or get to near stall, the engine will be vibrating - try rocking the engine by hand (engine off) to see if you can hear anything remotely like the noise - if it was one of the above, you'll not get anything like the duration or volume, but you might hear something that sounds similar to help trace it.

Good luck !

Can't understand how they think it's the clutch - if it had ben the thrust bearing, by switching off with clutch in then it wouldn't have happened (unles the thrust bearing is in constant contact with the pressure plate).

Take a look at the engine mountings & the exhaust heat shields yourself - when you switch off and/or get to near stall, the engine will be vibrating - try rocking the engine by hand (engine off) to see if you can hear anything remotely like the noise - if it was one of the above, you'll not get anything like the duration or volume, but you might hear something that sounds similar to help trace it.

Good luck !

Thanks for your reply. This is why I thought them saying it was the clutch was not correct.

Just before I go out I'll give the engine a bit of a shake and see if any noise comes out.

Thanks, will let you know shortly.

Firstly folks many thanks for your replies.

I have noticed that my petrol engine sounds like a diesel and thought it was normal, however my friend has told me that it sounds as if the fan belt is ticking.

Just wondering, could this be the problem why it squeeks as well?

I suspect the garage I took it to were told to make up a problem that wouldn't be covered by the warranty as I was trying to use the warranty from buying the car from the dealer to fix it.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom