Squirells......what next.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is poison no good (warfarin &c.)? Our local council come round - for a fee - to get rid of mice & rats where they've caused an infestation on account of the public health hazard therein. If these critters have colonized your attic, don't they belong in the same category?

Nope, the council does not treat them as same as RATs/mice. They will not come out.

Poison is the easy option....but retrieval is hard one. Repellants would be ideal but are not very effective.

So caging/capturing is really the only viable alternative and blocking access.

Good morning Adam,
Your quite right in saying squirrels are excellent at climbing smooth surfaces. (plus they can leap huge distances)

This is part of a picture I have just taken of a squirrel climbing a smooth wooden pole which supports a bird table. We are lucky to have bird feeders that are 100% squirrel proof and it is impossible for these pests to get to the seed. We do however put a little food out for them on the bird table itself.

If you can magnify this low resolution picture, you will see that the squirrel is not even using its claws to penetrate the wood?

Regards,
John

fwb44 said:
Yes you can but you must remember they mate for life & it's dreadfully unlucky even to see, let alone give back garden or front driveway room to, a lone magpie, unless you immediately utter out loud the following greeting: 'Good [morning/afternoon &c] your Lordship, and how is her Ladyship today?' to presuppose the presence of the other bird. OK, it's cheesy, but it's an old North Devon custom, relating to things which are harbingers of death, which my sister taught me ...

Who'd ever have thunk it in sunny Torquay eh? Twin Peaks has nothing on this :D

Ray, Pammy.......is it really safe to go down there? Will I have to bring "mi" cloth cap and braces :D :D

Ian B Walker said:
Ray, Pammy.......is it really safe to go down there? Will I have to bring "mi" cloth cap and braces :D :D

'ay lad, an' tha'll 'ave to shear Tobes so he looks like yon whippet :D

Tha does kno' the' talk reight funny dahn there n 'all :crazy:

pammy said:
'ay lad, an' tha'll 'ave to shear Tobes so he looks like yon whippet :D

Tha does kno' the' talk reight funny dahn there n 'all :crazy:

ay lass tha kno's :eek:

glojo said:
the squirrel is not even using its claws to penetrate the wood
What a sweet clever little fluffy-wuffy creature! Don'cha just love its dear little paws and bright little eyes ?:crazy:

We have the bloody squirells at work and as some of you know the lock keepers where i work are bringing up a baby duck, which now lives outside in a run .....

Anyway, i get to work the other morning and there is a squirell trying to get into the run, so.... i go out to the back office and get my shiny new Barnett Black Widow catapult and a couple of 8mm steel ball bearings ..... :devil:

Catapult is good, as it can be hidden when the bosses come down, and does'nt make too much of a noise. Anyway first shot misses (from about 5 yards :crazy: ) but second shot is right on target, dead centre of the squirell from five yards.. squirell gets knocked off the run and tumbles across the yard :bannana:

I think 'great it's dead,' as i approach it, it runs off at great speed across the lock gates and into the woods....... it must be terminator squirell, nothing will stop it !! :crazy:

The Squirell went to get his gun ;)

Howard said:
it must be terminator squirell, nothing will stop it !!
Ha ha ha!!! It's the squirrelator! It'll be back!

adam1 said:
Nope, the council does not treat them as same as rats/mice. They will not come out.
Bummer :( . If you manage to kill an adult sq. at this time of year does it follow that it will have had young which will inevitably then starve to death/get taken by predators &c? That would help to keep the sq. pop. down at least. Where are squirrels in the food chain? How about keeping a kestrel or a python?

Last edited:
Howard said:
but second shot is right on target, dead centre of the squirell from five yards

:D :D I have visions of this squirrel returning.

From 5 yards he is going to stand there beckoning to you and saying, "On the 'ead son!" ;)

We have a new visitor!!

Eh!!!!! Wots up Doc??

John

]

How very, very strange. My wife says that as well.

Update:

THREE DEAD TWO to go........I'm finally winning this war...
The best trap is the BIG CHEESE(mind the pun) rat trap and not the squirell one since the Rat type is very sensitive to the little buggers.

Only bought it a week and caught three already one by one. Cost £17.99.

The peanuts on bait work....they avoid it for a few days but the temptation gets to them...the other day saw them playing in the attic only to run when i got there...they were not interested in the trap then....but today a bit of cold weather and short of food it went for it.

Anyway if you think I'm cruel then read this.....its not until you have the little buggers in you house that you realise how disruptive and damaging they can be.

Read at your leisure http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/repair/msg011657468717.html

You may not already know that there are a few London restaurants which now have squirrel on the menu - surely there's a profit opportunity there for you? :)

Spoke to my pal Danny the lock keeper, he has trapped 50 , yes folks thats correct 50 of the lovely furry rodents since March......

He had 5 in one day on Saturday ....... :crazy:

Still doesn't seem to be thinning the numbers out though....

adam1 said:
.....its not until you have the little buggers in you house that you realise how disruptive and damaging they can be.

Well said, we had them in our loft about 4 years ago. They caused a right mess!

Howard said:
Spoke to my pal Danny the lock keeper, he has trapped 50 , yes folks thats correct 50 of the lovely furry rodents since March......

He had 5 in one day on Saturday ....... :crazy:

Still doesn't seem to be thinning the numbers out though....

Yeah but he's surrounded by heathland and woods - hardly surprising really.

There's loads of Badgers around there too. I regularly see one within a few feet of my front door. Cocky thing it is - lets me get within a couple of feet of it before it gets a little nervy. Must try and get a photo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom