SRS Airbag Recoding.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Richardson

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W176 A class 180 cdi
Hello, We have still got the CL203 that we bought 14 years ago, although not used very much these days as we use my A class most of the time we don't really want to part company with the coupe.
The problem is that the SRS airbag light has come on & the local indie has diagnosed it as B1023 & B1053 N2/7 (Restraint systems control unit) coding is faulty, he has said that a new unit from MB would be expensive & uneconomical repair, a used unit from E Bay would need to be virginised & recoded; I believe him & have trusted Steve for years, however, does anyone in the forum know of a trusted company that would recode a used unit carrying the same part number as my own.
Would distanced recoding to my VIN make the unit plug & play so that I could refit it myself?
Help someone
David

Are you 100% sure its not a low battery as you dont use the car much?
If you try swapping the battery out with the A class, clear the errors and see if they return?

Some SRS units don't need virginising but its impossible to know which ones. Id chance it and buy a used one.

Many thanks to Carl & BlackC55.

I tried swopping the battery, unfortunately it didn't make any difference, then I spotted the ad on E bay for a repairer who would recode a used unit (the same part number as mine) to my VIN at a cost of £250 with a warranty of 3 months so paying via Paypal for extra protection I took the gamble. The unit arrived two days later & after disconnecting the battery I fitted the unit & reconnected & bingo the SRS light wnet off when the engine was started. I did get the ESP warning but this went off as I pulled away from my drive. So my gamble at the moment has worked.

The seller has now increased his price though

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom