SRS Light comes on stays on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dave00130

Car
Mercedes ML 270
Morning all, so help needed please. I have a Mercedes ML270 W163 and out of the blue the SRS Light comes on once the car is running. I have checked all airbag connections on the seats and they're all in order. Can anyone suggest anything else?

Possible fault with passenger seat occupancy pad .Star will point out problem.If it is the sensor and it has child seat recognition I was quoted £420 + 4 hours fitting.Look on ebay , you can buy emulators that make the car think the pad is ok . They are about £50

davidsw said:
Possible fault with passenger seat occupancy pad .Star will point out problem.If it is the sensor and it has child seat recognition I was quoted £420 + 4 hours fitting.Look on ebay , you can buy emulators that make the car think the pad is ok . They are about £50

Excellent, thank you for that. You mentioned Star will point out the problem? Is that a diagnostic program sorry for my ignorance.

Yes star is mercedes diagnostics.A lot of diagnostic devices on ebay do not have a lot to do with restraint systems or abs.Some Autel models do and can be had for about £100 second hand .

SRS Light

I have a similar problem. I took it to Prestige Cars in Horndean, Hampshire, they put it on the Star Diagnostic which revealed an Airbag Sensor Module being defective. £481 from Mercedes, so I've bought a second hand one for £85 and hoping for the best.
Ade

I'm always dubious of the emulators as I would rather have the airbag go off when required than have it go off regardless because it thinks the seat is in use!:crazy:

What harm will it do if it goes off in a crash if no one is there ?

The emulators are $17 , don't pay £50 for them.

Secondhand modules are a false economy , the same fault could crop up at any time.

Writes off the dash for one thing! And then there's the issue of never putting something on the seat as it could become a projectile!

If you're in an oldish car and you manage to set the airbags off with a knock , it'll probably be written off anyway.

Surely the airbag would just hold anything on the front seat in place if it fired ?

Not relater to OP's problem, but just while ago a Finnish forum member found resistor installed instead of passenger airbags! SRS light has came on but reset with star, brought to the official MB dealer, they looked with endoscope inside the dash, and found resistors... car was imported from germany but was sold by some smaller(?) car dealer.

Thank you all for the threads. Not sure if your aware? As of the 20th March it's a MOT failure now to have an airbag warning light on. I think it's a case of having the fault read and going from there.

Airbag warning light isn't on when the emulator is fitted.

It's the SRS light anyway ( supplimentary restraint system ) , the emulator just makes it think there is someone in the passenger seat , the airbag still fires on impact.

The emulator will only work if it is a seat occupancy problem , if you genuinely have a problem with your airbags that is causing the SRS light to illuminate , then you need to sort that another way.

Sorry for the delay, finally got round to having the ML put on a diagnostic computer and checked. The following codes came out for the air bag = B1315, B1010 and B1318. davidsw was spot on and it turns out to be the passenger occupancy pad which has a fault. The other two codes are possibly linked and hoping to locate a replace occupancy pad will cure the fault. Fingers crossed

Glad you got the codes read and are going for the replacement pad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom