SRS light issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkChard

Car
2009 w639 Vito
Hi everybody. I’m a new forum member and for my opening post I would like to show how I resolved the SRS issue on my van.

I purchased a rather nice Vito W639 SportX against my better judgement with the SRS light on.

The report supplied by the seller from MB Swansea stated it had a faulty seatbelt. I thought this was acceptable and parted with £8k for the vehicle.

I replaced the seatbelt and took the vehicle to get the SRS error cleared at MOT time; the damn thing won’t go off.

Error code 9240 r12/1 Driver ETR (GUS) ignition squib too high open circuit.

Racking my brains the only thing it could be now is a damaged loom.

Sure enuf in the drivers door step the loom had burned out! I couldn’t believe it.

So tomorrow I will be getting the soldering iron and heat shrink out and fixing the problem with the battery disconnected.

Has anyone else had experiences with burned out looms?

Should I be expecting blown fuses as well?

Attachments

• 550AC5A3-A951-437C-BF52-7C2F37B270A0.jpeg
    550AC5A3-A951-437C-BF52-7C2F37B270A0.jpeg
    438.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 3D48BDA2-180E-4482-939D-EDBCCB020DC3.jpeg
    3D48BDA2-180E-4482-939D-EDBCCB020DC3.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Looks like those wires have been crushed. Has the van been in a shunt?

Looks like those wires have been crushed. Has the van been in a shunt?

I Have been trying to suss that out.

Driver and passenger door area is sound. Pillars are good. Slam is not damaged but it has a toe hitch on the back...

There was some water in the step and these wires are under the rubber sill wrapped in cloth tape.

I don’t think they are crushed as much as melted.

The battery was replaced a short while ago. It might have been tortured by the side door central locking circuit.

Does anyone have a W639 wiring diagram or know the cable colour codes?

My guess would be trapped under the lugs on the side step which has broken the cable & caused it to short, ive seen it a few times as the cables should be in the channel in the footwell.. the srs light could be cause by either the seatbelt or the connector under the seat. Not heard of to many burnt out looms, dont think there will be a blown fuse.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My guess would be trapped under the lugs on the side step which has broken the cable & caused it to short, ive seen it a few times as the cables should be in the channel in the footwell.. the srs light could be cause by either the seatbelt or the connector under the seat. Not heard of to many burnt out looms, dont think there will be a blown fuse.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

The black/white is the ground for the seatbelt sensor r12/1 and the green/yellow I believe to be fed into the sliding door assembly contact pad so that may be to do with the central locking solenoid, which might make sense with the amount of damage caused by the current delivery required to actuate.

The SRS ground white/black has soldered together nicely. The green pink wire was more troublesome. It appears to have a level of black oxide on it over a considerable length. Cleaned it up with wire wool to the point the solder would hold and cut in a length of similar gauge. Then double heat shrinked to be sure.

The SRS ground white/black has soldered together nicely. The green pink wire was more troublesome. It appears to have a level of black oxide on it over a considerable length. Cleaned it up with wire wool to the point the solder would hold and cut in a length of similar gauge. Then double heat shrinked to be sure.

Interesting, I would love to know if your fix worked ?

Might be worth checking that the as fitted fusing is correct?

There are some who would change eg a 7.5A fuse for a 10A or higher to clear a fault indication prior to selling a vehicle :mad:

Well done on inserting/cleaning/soldering and using heat shrink on the repair, may I suggest wrapping the cable (at the area of original damage) with some 'blue tak', this should not only cushion any impact but also show impact if you revisit the location after a period of normal use?

Good luck, hope all is sortedo_O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom