srs light on after charging battery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricardo62

Car
e320
I took my battery out to recharge it , and i refitted it making sure the sidelights were on when i reconnected it , as was advised to to stop a surge damaging the ecu , i also connected positive first , as advised , car runs fine , but the red srs light is on , i turned the steering wheel frm lock to lock to get rid of all the other lights on dash ie bas and esp , but cant get the srs light to go off ,, any thoughts ???

Think he means it needs to be put on STAR to reset it :)
thats an expensive battery charge ! will my local indy i use be able 2 reset it with his snap on scanner , he only charges me a tenner to diagnose faults?
its crazy if every time i need 2 charge battery i have 2 take it 2 merc dealers and can i drive it with light on until i get it reset

Last edited:
The local Indie will be able to reset it.

You can buy your own OBDII scanner for £10 now.

The cheap ODBII scanners are generic and most likely won't reset the SRS.

There are MB-specific reset tools and scanners that can deal with SRS/Airbag as well as ABS/ESP etc - Autel makes seversl such units - though they are not as cheap as the ELM/Bluetooth units and range in price from £50 for a basic reset tool to £500 for a full scanner with live data etc.

SRS is the generic application nearly all scanners will reset.

SRS is the generic application nearly all scanners will reset.

Possibly... :)

Though my ELM/Bluetooth/Android/Torque won't, while my Autel MaxiDiag will, if these examples are anything to go by.

lucky

Your lucky you dont own a new BMW .My cousin went to his garage to start his car and it was dead. This car is a 520 diesel just 12 months old .What a fiasco to get it running.The paper work as a service number to ring ,and then they call at your home. Had to remove some cover or other under the car after jacking it up to reset electronics. BMW service chap said he as to get a Ctek inteligent charger. Because you must drive the car for 40 miles to replace the charge in the battery. And to keeo it in tip top condition after you put it in the garage to lock it up.The reason is it closes down the computer and all items go in to sleep mode that are no longer operating. I think BMW means in short battery means work.

Your lucky you dont own a new BMW .My cousin went to his garage to start his car and it was dead. This car is a 520 diesel just 12 months old .What a fiasco to get it running.The paper work as a service number to ring ,and then they call at your home. Had to remove some cover or other under the car after jacking it up to reset electronics. BMW service chap said he as to get a Ctek inteligent charger. Because you must drive the car for 40 miles to replace the charge in the battery. And to keeo it in tip top condition after you put it in the garage to lock it up.The reason is it closes down the computer and all items go in to sleep mode that are no longer operating. I think BMW means in short battery means work.
GRR bloody modern cars , the old days of points and distributor cap , no computers .
update took it for a drive and its in limp mode gearbox wnt change gear and no cruise control and wnt rev past 3000 , i assume this is because it needs resseting on a code reader .. all to do with replacing battery?

Was the ignition ON when you were changing the battery?

Dec

indy plugged in his snap on reader , cleared loadsa fault codes , all wrking fine now apart frm still going into limp mode now and again , i am going to replace the maf sensor i reckon thats the main culprit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom