SRS light.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
Changed steering wheel on W211 today. Recommended procedure was thus..............Disconnect both batteries...wait for minimum 1hour (to let capacitor discharge apparently) Change wheel, reconnect airbag, then batteries. Done all that, even waited three hours. Now getting SRS warning and VISIT WORKSHOP message in speedo. Needless to say that's what I'll have to do, but any ideas where I went wrong? :mad:

Last edited:
Bump. Anyone?

Did you remove the ignition key? I don't see how/why this would make a difference if you disconnected the batteries but this is always the first step. The final step is to check SRS system using STAR..

Hi

just wondered; why did you change the steering wheel Derek? Didnt notice at the meet....?

I did this on my previous CLK. Airbag faliure didnt trigger 1st time. When i refitted the original wheel back in the car before i sold it, the light was triggered.

Merc dealer should reset it for £50 odd i suspect. Had simialr stuff going on in my BMW 7 series aswell. Apparently low battery voltage triggered it off in the BMW when i disconnected the battery. Maybe something like that detected in the sensors when you discharged the system. BMW said it was normal and they just reset all the stuff when they reconnect the battery again but on that car you even had to recode the car to the new battery :confused:

cheers

Derek

Have you turned the steering wheel full lock left to right a few times? This cleared it up on mine the last time i disconnected the airbag.

Have you checked the airbag connection?

Have you turned the steering wheel full lock left to right a few times? This cleared it up on mine the last time i disconnected the airbag.

Have you checked the airbag connection?

Thanks Dude. Yeh, did the left--right bit. I'm not going down the airbag route again until after tomoro when the local indie will try and clear the fault code. If that doesn't work I'm told I might need a new airbag to hub connecting cable as they're (apparently) not too strong.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yeh, did the left--right bit. I'm not going down the airbag route again until after tomoro when the local indie will try and clear the fault code. If that doesn't work I'm told I might need a new airbag to hub connecting cable as they're (apparently) not too strong.

if it was fine beforehand then i doubt there is a physical fault. You could check the airbag ring by carefully dismantling it and inspecting/cleaning inside, but i doubt its it. my bet is a reset will cure it ;)

what indy are you using? i need a good one to possibly fix an oil leak i have if i am not brave enough to do it myself (not plucked up the courage yet)

Hi

just wondered; why did you change the steering wheel Derek? Didnt notice at the meet....?
Derek

Pay more attention at the back laddie. :D
Cos I bought a nice Walnut one off Fozzer to go with the rest of the Walnut interior when/if I ever get it.
You'd think there was a crashed W211 Elegance somewhere in the UK wouldn't you? Not one that I can find there's not. And the nice man from Stuttgart wants over £1200 for a kit. Told him he could poke it.

where your oil leak? Ask TKM about indie. He was telling me of one he knows in Glesga that's supposed to be good. Mine is in Pumpherston just along the road from me. Haven't used him other than for diagnostic. Could be OK though, always plenty cars in.

Last edited:
Pay more attention at the back laddie. :D
Cos I bought a nice Walnut one off Fozzer to go with the rest of the Walnut interior when/if I ever get it.
You'd think there was a crashed W211 Elegance somewhere in the UK wouldn't you? Not one that I can find there's not. And the nice man from Stuttgart wants over £1200 for a kit. Told him he could poke it.

where your oil leak? Ask TKM about indie. He was telling me of one he knows in Glesga that's supposed to be good. Mine is in Pumpherston just along the road from me. Haven't used him other than for diagnostic. Could be OK though, always plenty cars in.

I was thinking Merparts as they are in the Good Garage Guide and the guy there is one of the officials of the club so i guess must be pretty good.

I think its coming from the crankshaft pully oil seal - i have bought a new seal but replacement involves removing belt, radiator, pully etc. Not sure if my DIY mechanical skills are up to it. Its not a bad leak but would be good to cure it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom