srs restraint system faulty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NOMONEYBUTAMERC

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
BMW X1 . Porsche 968 Boxster
Just had a call from a mate panicking that his C180k (05) , has a warning on his dash "SRS restraint system faulty". Is this a job that can be done by a local garage/auto electrician or does it need to go to MB ?

MB dealer as the car needs to go onto star to find the issue

As said, codes need to be read, though it does not have to be done using STAR - they can be read with any code-reader that can read MB-specific codes.

I had a similar problem and used this unit to read the codes and verify what the fault was:

http://www.auteltech.com/eu702.htm

Autel EU702 MaxiDiag Car Diagnostic fault code reader airbag, ABS engine light reset tool: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

In my case (C180K 2006) it was the Front Passenger Seat Occupancy Sensor, it is a sort of wide and thin mat that is built-in to the seat (its purpose is to deactivate the front passenger seatbelt when the seat is un-occupied). The part itself is £135.00+VAT from MB, and replacing it is between one to two hours labour (the front seat need to be removed and the seat cushion taken apart). Mine was done by Olly PCS (BlackC55).

Last edited:
Just had a call from a mate panicking that his C180k (05) , has a warning on his dash "SRS restraint system faulty". Is this a job that can be done by a local garage/auto electrician or does it need to go to MB ?
hi, my8, you can go to the local garage to have a check...

MB dealer as the car needs to go onto star to find the issue

Why would it not be possible to let a forum member to read the codes with Star? Or an independent shop?

There are a few typical issues, seat sensor and seat sensor wiring, the steering wheel clock spring but one would save a lot of time if the car was first diagnosed with star.

Sorted. Local garage put diagnostics on , car showing myriad of codes. Checked seat/airbag connections , fault light out - no charge.:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom