ssangyong 722.6 merc auto gearbox clunk noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shaz27

Car
ssangyong rodius
hi all need some help here or a miracle , i have real problems with this car , first got it about 4 months ago , drives like a dream until i took it to have a full service , brakes , filters , transmission fluid , filter and gasket , etc , after 5 mins of leaving the garage to the car started make a loud clunking noise from under the car , this noise is only when accelerating no other time , trip back to the garage he said its the u joint on the prop shaft , well that changed now ( ujoint and rear prop shaft ) , just the same , then it was gearbox mounting , still the same , next axle bushes worn , net still the same , next the GEARBOX after someone else looking at this and saying the same , ordered a secondhand gearbox with warranty , thats been changed , guess what the same noise is there but worse , well im fuming and stumped , ive spent around £1500 on this car maybe more , so hes saying hes going to swap the transfer cases over and see if thats it , but if the first gearbox was the problem why swap it for one thats sounds worse , im thinking its something that either connects to the gearbox or some thing else underneath , i cant see how 2 gearboxes have the exact same problem , :mad:

no its not the engine mounts , been checked its either from some where near gearbox or futher back ,

Is there a way to disable the 4wd system [lever or button on dash?] to check whether your problem comes from the front [ front propshaft or drive shaft U/Js ] or rear transmission section which appears to have been checked already?

Bad torque converter?

Is there a way to disable the 4wd system [lever or button on dash?] to check whether your problem comes from the front [ front propshaft or drive shaft U/Js ] or rear transmission section which appears to have been checked already?

there is no way to disable 4wd its a tod system so full time 4wd , just hi gear low gear buttons , as far as im aware the prop shaft along with the u joints have been changed , the aa checked it as well and he said it was fine , im really at a loss and car less

there is no way to disable 4wd its a tod system so full time 4wd , just hi gear low gear buttons , as far as im aware the prop shaft along with the u joints have been changed , the aa checked it as well and he said it was fine , im really at a loss and car less

just to add it also does it in hi gear low gear as well

just to add , when it clunks it almost feels as if the back wheels jump/skip , this cant been seen so i presume its something rear end ?

drives like a dream until i took it to have a full service , brakes , filters , transmission fluid , filter and gasket , etc , after 5 mins of leaving the garage to the car started make a loud clunking noise from under the car ,

The answer lies in the above "bold" statement.

Tell the garage to fix the issue that they have created.

Obviously put the wrong transmission fluid in - they serviced it they must fix the mess:crazy:

i supplied the oil , fuchs titan mb spec , so its not the oil

Not the gearbox or tranmission

garage got back to me , the put my old gearbox back in and its improved , strange , anyway its not the rear diff either , so that is the main things out of the way ,.

Sounds like transmission wind up.
If it is full time 4wd is there a centre diff? And how do you lock/unlock it?

Bingo ! Now where do i get one

Bad torque converter?
TURNS out its the torque converter , now where do i get a tod transfer case ?

Hang on-------- the torque convertor= the turbine like arrangement for drive transfer to the gearbox from the engine and the torque on demand transferbox /centre differential are two different bits of kit. Which one are we talking about? If its the TOD Transfer box the fault could be electrical rather than mechanical causing the centre diff to lock inappropriately. If its the torque convertor bolted to the engine flywheel that's faulty you don't need another TOD transfer box

http://transmissionrepairguy.com/torque-converter-problems/

its the tod transfer case thats the problem torque on demand , im trying to find one but thats proving hard there like needles in hay stacks.

Shaz,
With respect.
I would take another look at what Bruce and grober have said.
This happened immediately after work was done on the car. Grober has advised that it may not be the unit itself, but possibly the sensor or connections to the tod/centre diff.
Imho it might save you a world of pain (not to mention money) to find someone who can confirm that it definitely IS the tod unit and not the control electronics.
I absolutely believe in coincidence, and the diagnosis may absolutely be correct, but if it were me, I would want to be as close to 100% confident as I could be that a replacement unit will cure this.

Because that clutch pack that engages the FWD is electrically operated by an electric motor there should be fault codes stored somewhere which may tell you more. there's anecdotal evidence that due to its low location the electic motor/actuator may give problems. No offence but you are more likely to get an answer here
http://www.ssangyon***ub.co.uk/forum/

don't know why it starred out g-c-l letters but just input the web address manually.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom