ssssmokin!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carlos2k

Car
CLS55 AMG
Hi All,

My 08 CLS 320 CDI (OM642) seems to have started smoking fairly heavily over the past couple of weeks, its done 123k miles, has full service history and had a refurb turbo fitted in Feb.

The MOT guy said it would struggle to get through an MOT in its current state.

It smokes when rev'd from idle and if I hold at 1500 for 5-10 secs and then rev it can deploy a good smoke screen. Mostly the smoke is black.

The car was fully serviced in feb - oil, filters etc inc fuel filter and glowplugs.

Any help on what the issue could be would be appreciated.

So far i've;

1. Checked the EGR - fully functional, seemed pretty clean. Cleaned the pipe that goes into the inlet.
2. (TO DO) Fit new cam breather value that plumbs into the intake.
3.... Advice please?

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks. I'd hope it's not the turbo as it was replaced a couple of k ago, I don't think it has a DPF although I'm not sure.. would an 08 have one?

I should probably add that ive noticed no change in MPG

Is it smoke or soot? An Italian tune-up used to work for me. Take it up the bypass and accelerate hard to hit the revs at 4k. After 2 or 3 squirts the soot cleared. Scared the crap out of anyone following me though.
Always did this immediately pre-MOT.

Black smoke is unburrnt fuel.

As above, a good Italian tuneup should fix it, maybe some Diesel Cleaning chemicals in the tank for good measure - Wynns, STP or even RedEx, £2 in the Pound shop[?] at the moment.

If you normally have sooty exhaust end caps (before the problem started) then chances are you don't have a DPF.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom