Stability Control

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

altreed

Car
c36 AMG, z3 2.8, BMW 330D Touring.... Bike: Yamaha T/cat 600, Z1r {gxsr1100 mota}, CR500 Aii
Has anyone managed to turn off ASR/ESP on their pre facelift W202?

Can you fit a switch to interupt the program or pull a fuse?

I want to go drifting on a trackday and the stability control is a nuisance. :devil:

I have read on a US website that some models can access a diagnostics menu by pressing and holding the 'R' button on the dash. You need to look for a menu that sets up the car for a rolling road (forgotten the name it uses).

This should turn off all electronic control systems.

Apparently the system resets to default when you turn the ignition off/on again.

I've not managed to access the menu in my car so not sure if this will work on yours.

altreed said:

I want to go drifting on a trackday and the stability control is a nuisance. :devil:
BAS/ASR/ESP systems rely on the brake switch and the wheel sensors in order to function. I was thinking of making a factory-style harness that goes between the computer and one of those sensors or the brake switch so I could disconnect it using a switch in a convenient location (like the engine bay, not the cockpit ;) )
SG CL500 said:
I have read on a US website that some models can access a diagnostics menu by pressing and holding the 'R' button on the dash. You need to look for a menu that sets up the car for a rolling road (forgotten the name it uses).
You're about 2 generations ahead of the subject here I'm afraid!

Thanks for your help.

Silverarrow, do you know where the brake light switch is? Is it above the brake pedal? And how would that help the stability system from not adjusting the wheelspin control?

I like the control button concept Shude. I was thinking along those lines. I just need to find the bit I need to modify.

Has anyone made this mod before?

altreed said:

You might find that by introducing a fault in the ESP, the engine control will drop into 1st limp home. A better solution might be a logic table as an interupt for the lateral acceleration sensor. This basically means that a greater slip angle can be programmed without losing the safety net of ESP.

A company I am involved with is almost ready to launch this as a commercial product for GM cars at first, with other makes to follow.

Regards,

Job

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom