Stability on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

city lights

I didn't know where to put such an issue so I decided to do it here because after all it also has to do with ESP which belongs to the electronics.

Is W203 more stable than 3 series from the same period? I mean when entering the curve and when making a low angle but fast steering at 60 or 80 or more km per hour? Is Mercedes ESP better done than the one at BMW?

Is there more stable car from W203 period considering its weight balance and ESP than the one itself?

All I know is that research in assessing primary safety like ESP was taking place at TRL in 2000. I'm not sure what came of it though. I think they were using a Honda S2000 as the test vehicle.

Last edited:
Looking at it from a different perspective, ESP only comes into play when the car is losing grip at one or more wheels. The more stable car will be the one with better handling & grip which will not require the intervention of ESP.

Russ

Aren't all the ESP modules and sensors made by Bosch anyway?

No idea which electronic system would be better once you reached the limit, but I would say you would reach the limit much later in the BMW 3 series. I'm not a BMW fan, but they really are a joy to drive fast on twisty roads.

Well, IMHO, my post facelift C270 estate handles better than my E46 estate. This may have something to do with the Sports pack fitted to my C270, but the handling is more akin to an M-tec 3 series coupe I used to own

I doubt anyone can tell you from an impartial technical point of view, but rather just a subjective opinion.

Well, IMHO, my post facelift C270 estate handles better than my E46 estate. This may have something to do with the Sports pack fitted to my C270, but the handling is more akin to an M-tec 3 series coupe I used to own

I'm not sure what an E46 is and I've never driven a BMW Touring, but I have a post facelift C270CDi Estate on standard (but plenty stiff enough) suspension and the worst thing about the car is its uncertainty at normal speeds. I will say that it does seem to "hunker down" the faster you go, but by then you're generally driving well in excess of the speed limit.

I had various BMWs (318iSE & 325iSE) from work for periods of a month or two and they're the only cars I've ever driven where I used to turn off the motorway early to "take the back road home". The driving experience is just so much more flowing.

Wifes 203 was very twitchy at any speed had 4 wheel alingment done and its much better, but still twitchy at high speeds ie 80/100 never feels planted, my 210 stable at any speed right up to the limiter, but its bit of a tank around tight corners, but 203 much more nimble.

Lynall

I'm not sure what an E46 is and I've never driven a BMW Touring, but I have a post facelift C270CDi Estate on standard (but plenty stiff enough) suspension and the worst thing about the car is its uncertainty at normal speeds. I will say that it does seem to "hunker down" the faster you go, but by then you're generally driving well in excess of the speed limit.

I had various BMWs (318iSE & 325iSE) from work for periods of a month or two and they're the only cars I've ever driven where I used to turn off the motorway early to "take the back road home". The driving experience is just so much more flowing.

Like for like BMWs give more feedback through the steering wheel (not feel as PAS and broad tyres have killed that off). The E46 is the 3 series produced from 1998-2005. The current bangle one is the E90.

However on back roads my bigger and heavy car is entertaining, and my old boss who had a 208 said it was a "real drivers car".

The basic 203 chassis evolved the best drivers car in the world, the CLK DTM so MB do know how to make a car that involves the driver.

The only draw back is the complete and curious lack of feedback on a 211 but on a dry road Ive never had the ESP kick in yet I've hounded fastly driven impreza's, and bothered bikers on the twisties who were out for a jolly.

Anyway, I've digressed as I am very enthusiastic about my car and my point is that over reliance on electronic aids is extremely dangerous. MB probably have designed their system to kick in earlier, but better to invest in some training to avoid putting the car, and yourself at risk. For surefootedness the OP may be better off with an A4 Quattro sport as oversteer is not an issue with one of those.

Most of your questions are subjective.

It sounds like you need to take a W203 and its competitors out for test drives and come to your own conclusions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom