Staggered tyre size query/problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

soopcoop

Car
CLK320
Hi all,

Been reading through lots of threads of tyre sizes and pressures etc but really can't find an answer, I've got some steering wheel shake at about 60, had the balancing done, and will get suspension parts looked at but wanted to make sure my tyres are correct first as I've tried different pressures and the problem seems to be not as bad with higher pressure in the tyre.

Anyway I have 17" alloys and 235 45 r17 tyres all around, now from what I've read should I have a smaller tyre at the front, say a 225?

At the moment I've 36psi at the front and 35 at the back and seems to have stopped the steering wheel shaking as much as it did but it's still there.

Anyway thanks for any help.

Ed

How old are the tyres and do they have any chunks out of them or bulging areas in the side walls?

How old are the tyres and do they have any chunks out of them or bulging areas in the side walls?

Not sure how old they are they were on when I bought it, plenty of tread on all though, they looked almost new when I bought it about 6months ago, no apparent signs of bulging on the side walls....

Thanks

The tyres are not likely the problem. It could be a slightly buckled wheel or suspention components. The other possibility is engine or transmission mounts.

Vibrations that balancing and wheel alignment cannot fix are very hard to pin down.

Just been out to check them again and just noticed that I have goodyear excellence on all but the drivers side front which is a delinte(?) Thunder....never heard of them! Maybe has something to do with it?

Are they the same size? Different tyres are never a good idea. Often different brands will actually have different overall dimensions also.

Get it changed and hope this is your problem.

Are they the same size? Different tyres are never a good idea. Often different brands will actually have different overall dimensions also.

Get it changed and hope this is your problem.

They are the same size, I've only just noticed they were different makes though, dear me, yeah getting it changed is best place to start, how about them being the same size all around though, should they not be slightly smaller at the front?

I have 17" alloys and 235 45 r17 tyres all around, now from what I've read should I have a smaller tyre at the front, say a 225?

I too have staggered wheel sizes, the correct size for a CLK should be 225/45x17 on a 7.5J front wheel and 245/40x17 on a 8.5J rear.

Russ

235/45r17 is in the middle of the front and rear standard setup and would only be at the max 1 or 2% out which is well within the acceptable range.

Regardless tyre size would not cause the vibration unless it is 4 wheel drive with different overall diameters.

235/45r17 is in the middle of the front and rear standard setup and would only be at the max 1 or 2% out which is well within the acceptable range.

Regardless tyre size would not cause the vibration unless it is 4 wheel drive with different overall diameters.

Thanks for your help, I'm thinking if I'm going to change one of the front tyres I might just replace them both to a 225 anyway...

Just been out to check them again and just noticed that I have goodyear excellence on all but the drivers side front which is a delinte(?) Thunder....never heard of them! Maybe has something to do with it?

Take a look at that tyre, I had never heard of them before either until I bought my CLS55 recently.
They are truly awful awful tyres, if you look at the two pics below, there's no prizes guessing which make the tyre is, and this is wasn't the only one like it both rear tyres were exactly the same I was getting a slight vibration on the rear otherwise there were no other symptoms, there were a total of four bulges in this tyre and three in the other.

Take a look at that tyre, I had never heard of them before either until I bought my CLS55 recently.
They are truly awful awful tyres, if you look at the two pics below, there's no prizes guessing which make the tyre is, and this is wasn't the only one like it both rear tyres were exactly the same I was getting a slight vibration on the rear otherwise there were no other symptoms, these pics show 2 of the 4 bulges in this tyre and three in the other.

They are truly awful awful tyres, if you look at the two pics below, there's no prizes guessing which make the tyre is, and this is wasn't the only one like it both rear tyres were exactly the same I was getting a slight vibration on the rear otherwise there were no other symptoms, these pics show 2 of the 4 bulges in this tyre and three in the other.

My God, that's terrible! I'll check it as soon as I can and get it replaced, thanks for posting that!

Ed

C

Thats bad, is that Wanli or something?

They were the same make of tyre as SoopCoop said he has on his car a "DeLinte Thunder", my CLS had them all round when I bought it.

I have never seen a tyre like that before.......that is shocking!!

They were the same make of tyre as SoopCoop said he has on his car a "DeLinte Thunder", my CLS had them all round when I bought it.

Hey Andy, it seems your wheels are 20's? Or is it 19?
Sorry for invading the thread but it would be helpfull to know how much worse(if any) is the ride quality with 20's on a CLS.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom