Staggered wheel sizes on S211 (diameter and width)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsorrel

MB Enthusiast
Car
'21 C300 Coupe, '20 SLC Final Edition, Peugeot 208 (hers!) and a new Ford Kuga in Russia
Does anyone know if there's any "technical" reason why I would not be able to put 17" (245 tyres?) wheels on the rear of my S211 whilst keeping the original 16s (225 tyres) at the front? To me, it's only at the rear that the car seems a little "under-wheeled". I've seen a few cars with this (eg: MacTech's S Class!), but never an S211!!

No technical reason!
The widths on certified MB tyres range from 225 to 245/265 on the sport model, and wheel diameters from 16 to 19.
I personally have run 18" with 245/40 front and 275/35 rear on an S211.
Wheel weights are quite important, but if you are using genuine Mercedes wheels that should not be an issue.
Go on! Buck the trend and run 245/45/17 rears!:thumb:
But you might want to get some wheels that look at least similar:eek:

Yes!!! LOL! The wheels I like are those 5 spoke 18" on the latest S Class that look a bit like fat Ruchas or maybe something radical like black spokes with silver rims! Just can't decide what to do.... :(

By the way, are S and E class wheels interchangeable?

Yes!!! LOL! The wheels I like are those 5 spoke 18" on the latest S Class that look a bit like fat Ruchas or maybe something radical like black spokes with silver rims! Just can't decide what to do.... :(

By the way, are S and E class wheels interchangeable?

To a large extent the E and S class wheels (but not tyres) are interchangeable. You obviously need to check the width/dia/offset of any given wheel and you will also find that the S class wheels require longer wheel bolts than the 211 series.

Take a look here:
Mercedes AMG BMW new used & refurbished alloy wheels & tyres, UK wheel alloys

Oh! I picked up a set of 'delivery mileage only' CLS 18" wheels for my E Class estate. Looked a bit like this:)

Last edited:
Those wheels look excellent! That's the look I'd like for my S211! Are there any more of those available??? :)

Those wheels look excellent! That's the look I'd like for my S211! Are there any more of those available??? :)

Drat! Sold a set last year! But just keep and eye out on ebay. I manged to collect one set by buying individual wheels for very little.:thumb:

Oh! I picked up a set of 'delivery mileage only' CLS 18" wheels for my E Class estate. Looked a bit like this:)
Mac, Did these wheels replace your original ones directly, without any mods?? I'm just wondering as they're 9.5" rears and mine are just the standard 16" with I think 7.5" diameter..

Saw a set on Ebay (jojos from Edgware?) and am wondering whether to get them.... He's selling without tyres. Which size tyres did you go for?

Sorry to fire the questions!!!

Yes they bolted straight on. The CLS is just an E Class in a party frock!
First set were 8.5/9.5 with 245/40 & 275/35 Conti Sportcontact2
2nd set were all 8.5/18/ET28 with 245/40 Goodyear FI
The bigger ones were close at the rear, but never touched:D

Last edited:
Thanks!! So, I could either wait and try and collect a set of 4 x 8.5s for a less close fit at the back (!!) or go with the set this guy's selling and chance the rears not rubbing! :)

Just remembered something! Is the rolling radius the same with the 18s with 245/40s as the 16s with 225/55s? And if not, what's the likely difference in MPH shown and actual? (Is there a way to calculate that??) :)

Given Mercedes fine tolerances(!) I'm sure that if it works on one car it will work on another!;)
The reason I went with the smaller rears on the 2nd set is because the 275 Conti's became increasingly noisy as they wore down and they cost about 1 or 2 mpg.
What's on the back of my S at the moment? 285 Conti's, but they are very new!:eek:

Thanks for your help Mactech!! :)

Just a sidenote, if the rolling radius between the front and rear tyres are more than 2% (i believe) your ESP will wreak havoc and you will have to disable it to drive anywhere normally. This can however be configured in Star i'm led to believe.

Yes I thought this too! However my S runs fine with a number of different wheels at the rear from 255/45/18 up to 285/30/21 which is about 2.6% difference. It is actually probably more as the OEM 18" Michelins are fairly worn.:dk:

Are you changing the front sizes at the same time? Because it is the difference in rolling radius between the front and back that messes with the revolution sensors for the ESP.

I've had this problem a number of times on W210's and late 202's...maybe MB have changed something.

The fronts are all the same diameter, but maybe because the S has an option of 255 or 275/40/19 rears there is more built in tolerence on this model?:dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom