Staggered wheels, what size spare?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
Can someone with experience of a AMG w202 or w210 (or similar), with the staggered wheels, tell me what you got for a spare?

I carry my original 16" sport which is fine, but I just wondered what you got from the factory, a front or a rear or something different!!??

My car has the AMG wheels from the factory. The spare wheel is the standard 16" sport wheel.

I was worried that the bolts for the 16" spare might be different so there was a mild panic. However, on checking MB's alloy wheel brochure the 17" AMGs and 16" sport wheels have the same part number for bolts. Phew!

GrahamC230K said:
Can someone with experience of a AMG w202 or w210 (or similar), with the staggered wheels, tell me what you got for a spare?

I carry my original 16" sport which is fine, but I just wondered what you got from the factory, a front or a rear or something different!!??

Last edited:
on the E55 I had an AMG 17" spare but I think it was for the front , being narrower than the back (& probably easier to fit in the boot well) . I think it was ok to use on the back in a get you home situation . Thankfully I never needed it.

on my previous C230k which had 17 AMG's I am sure the spare was a normal steel spacesaver type with a big yellow 50mph sticker on it. Mind you all 4 wheels were the same size anyway.

Last edited:
I have a 15" steel spare !! Which I am sure is fine, as the rolling radius would be the same, but still wouldn't risk driving at anything more than a snails pace with it on.

My old honda had 17" wheels from the factory, and had a space-saver spare wheel. The stupid thing was, that if you ever got a puncture on the front, you had to first swap the front wheel with a back one, and then put the space-saver on the back. It wasn't deep enough to clear the brake calipers on the front !

S.

I just wondered what the out the factory setup was.

If it's def a front wheel, I might keep an eye out for an individual to make my set completely matching.

I have a front 17" wheel as a spare on my AMG. I believe that it is the standard arrangement. Everything was left standard on the car when I had bought it, but things have changed since :D

My C43 was supplied with the normal 17" AMG wheel, but in 7.5" (i.e. like the front wheels, as opposed to the 8.5" rears) and with a 215/45 tyre.

Personally I would have preferred it to be 225/45 (i.e. same width as the front tyre), but I guess it is to ensure the same tyre wall height front and rear, so it can be interchanged without problems.

However, not sure I would really like to drive round with one 215/45 rear and the other being 245/40 ?!

At least you guys have a spare.

Ive got a sorry excuse for a spare :(

altreed said:
I have a front 17" wheel as a spare on my AMG. I believe that it is the standard arrangement. Everything was left standard on the car when I had bought it, but things have changed since :D

Does yours have the same tyres ize as Anders? That's very interesting.

my CL (83,000 quid new + options) has a steel :eek: 16" 225 section as a spare - fronts and backs are the same (18" 255 45 18 ET 36?)

cheapskates :(

GrahamC230K said:
Does yours have the same tyres ize as Anders? That's very interesting.

I think it's 215/45/17. I haven't got my car at the mo so I can't cross reference, but I am pretty sure it is 215 or 225max.

Cool, so to complete my AMG set, I need a 7.5 front with a 215 tyre!

Graham . . . if you see a set of two going cheap anywhere . . let me know ;)

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom