stain removal on a leather seat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sp218

Car
C63
When I got my car delivered new about 5 months ago, I went to get my windows tinted at the rear from a 3rd party. Didn't notice at the time but maybe a couple of weeks later saw a couple of stains on the driver's seat. I am guessing must have been some sort of glue that was used to apply the tint. Doesn't come off with water and soap so think I need to use oil based solvent, but reluctant to use it coz I don't want to ruin the leather.

Any recommendations on what to use or who to go to to remove it? Appreciate your help!

This isn't a joke. Try a "baby wipe" I have used them for many years on various surfaces, including my lad when he was a baby. They have cleaned fabric and leather car interiors and also my bike leathers without leaving any residue. If any other bikers are reading this they are really good at getting the flies off in the warmer months and can also be used on the inside of your helmet.
Get them from Aldi or poundland and they will only cost you a ........................pound.

Your leather has a plasticised finish... That's typical of modern car interiors.

If the glue has interacted with the finish then you could be into more tricky fixes. If it's just sitting on the surface then use something tough enough to dissolve it. Try the baby wipes, but after that I would suggest "brake disc cleaner" from a bike shop... As ever, test it first on a concealed bit of the seat leather out of the way. It's a gentle solvent.

Good luck.

It won't be adhesive from the window tinting, that film already has adhesive on.

The stain is probably old and was coated over at sale time.

Two points

Were you getting the front windows tinted?
Don't ask the Wife to remove the stain...

Try a "baby wipe" ...... they are really good at getting the flies off in the warmer months and can also be used on the inside of your helmet.

There has to be a joke here somewhere;)

When my 203 was retrimmed the finished seats were wiped down with a toluene based cleaner to remove all marking out lines, adhesive and handling grease. Have a word with a retrim shop.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Will try the baby wipes. Happen to have plenty of them around the house.

It defintely wasn't in the car when the car was delivered. I noticed it after getting the tints done but didn't think of it much at the time. It only started to bother me after a couple of few weeks later then realised it wasn't coming off that easily. The tints are only on aft of b-pillars but the fitters did use the front seats as there were other tell tale signs. But if the tints have adhesive on them already, wonder what it could be... Silly of me really - should have mention it to the tinters right away but was just so excited about driving the car.

If all fails, will probably reach out to trim refitters and ask for advice. Whitenemesis, who did you use and were they pretty good? Will reach out to them if they are near London.

I used d:class automotive, highly recommended, based on Chobham. They do lots for MB World, restos and repairs. Best there is, guaranteed.

A lot of professional detailers use steam to remove stains.....maybe you can give it a try.

I used d:class automotive, highly recommended, based on Chobham. They do lots for MB World, restos and repairs. Best there is, guaranteed.

Thanks, white nemesis. Will give them a go, if wipes don't work. Don't want to use any solvent myself even if it's weak, as I heard the plastic coating on leather can get damaged. :thumb:

Steam should hopefully soften the glue for it be removed but I wouldn't do it to close depending on the pressure of the steam wouldn't want to ruin the leather

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom