Stalling engine MB 380SL 1984

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ed9msi

Hi, My MB 380SL from 1984 with an automatic transmission stalls or at least hesitates when hot and starting from a standstill at a redlight or so. It has only been driven some 85000 km so far and I've had it since 1985. Any ideas what could be the problem? BR Martin :confused:

i dont know, but i remember reading something on another site about the Auxilliary Air Valve causing something like this.... stallking just after coming off the motorway and stopping at the lights at the top.... sure someone else will come along shortly but it may be worth checking out or searching for, just incase.

Thanks SilverSaloon, any idea where i can find the Auxilliary Air Valve and how to check it?

Thanks SilverSaloon, any idea where i can find the Auxilliary Air Valve and how to check it?

not sure, sorry. i could be completely wrong though.... i only think its the AAV because i remember a thread long ago about stalling after a motorway run and remembered it just incase the same happens on my car....

try searching on all the merc forums for Auxilliary air valve and stalling etc and it may come up with some info

I would start with the basics...get the CO level checked by a local garage, check for split air pipes and go from there.

The CO is just fine, had it checked some 2 months ago. I actually had a mechanic look at it a couple of years ago who said that most likely it's one or more of the injectors that leak but i thought i'd ventilate it a bit in this forum to get a second opinion before i start tearing down the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom