Stalls when put into Drive cold start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbmycarstalls

Car
E250 AMG-line
Hi

I am new to this forum and posting my fist message :)

I have searched google for hours and nothing i have read seems to have a fix for this problem. Maybe there isn't one , there are a few people who have the similar issue and I even spotted an old post on this forum again with no conclusion.

The post in question is

My problem is very similar (i will try to be brief )

If left overnight the when i start the car it starts fine. if i put into any gear D or R it stalls. Initially when this happened i just restarted it a few times and it worked fine. The problem seems to be getting worse (or that could just be me). I need to let the car warm up for 2-3 mins and keep trying and it will eventually engage in drive with a judder. Once i have driven the car a little even just a mile or so down the road for the school run and back for the rest of the day it will be fine , it may judder a little sometimes when i put into D or R but it drives fine (well to me it does ) and no other issues

my car is a 2010 model with about 49K on the clock. I checked the transmission fluid via a dip stick off ebay , warmed the car up etc and checked it , it was just on the low line so i added a little to top up so it was in between the low and high line. However this does not seem to have fixed the problem.

From what I have read around the fixes range from TC to valves to some fundamental issue with some MB cars. I have only had the car a short while not sure if the guy who had it before me knew about this as for the first few days it seemed fine and then just started to do this.

i had a diagnostics done because the engine light kept coming on when you went past about 3000 rpm that turned out to be a fuel filter a new one as fixed the issue , and there were no other faults apart from the fuel pressure (cause by fuel filter )

I have a couple of videos but was unable to attach the files not sure why (maybe restricted), so i have put them on YT

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I am based near Manchester so not sure if anyone local and has seen this issue can help .

If not then thanks anyway.

Thanks

Hi

I am new to this forum and posting my fist message :)

I have searched google for hours and nothing i have read seems to have a fix for this problem. Maybe there isn't one , there are a few people who have the similar issue and I even spotted an old post on this forum again with no conclusion.

The post in question is

My problem is very similar (i will try to be brief )

If left overnight the when i start the car it starts fine. if i put into any gear D or R it stalls. Initially when this happened i just restarted it a few times and it worked fine. The problem seems to be getting worse (or that could just be me). I need to let the car warm up for 2-3 mins and keep trying and it will eventually engage in drive with a judder. Once i have driven the car a little even just a mile or so down the road for the school run and back for the rest of the day it will be fine , it may judder a little sometimes when i put into D or R but it drives fine (well to me it does ) and no other issues

my car is a 2010 model with about 49K on the clock. I checked the transmission fluid via a dip stick off ebay , warmed the car up etc and checked it , it was just on the low line so i added a little to top up so it was in between the low and high line. However this does not seem to have fixed the problem.

From what I have read around the fixes range from TC to valves to some fundamental issue with some MB cars. I have only had the car a short while not sure if the guy who had it before me knew about this as for the first few days it seemed fine and then just started to do this.

i had a diagnostics done because the engine light kept coming on when you went past about 3000 rpm that turned out to be a fuel filter a new one as fixed the issue , and there were no other faults apart from the fuel pressure (cause by fuel filter )

I have a couple of videos but was unable to attach the files not sure why (maybe restricted), so i have put them on YT

I am based near Manchester so not sure if anyone local and has seen this issue can help .

If not then thanks anyway.

Thanks

Hello! I have the same exact problem, with same car model. Even mechanics cant find the solution. Did you find out what it was?

Hi

I think i know what the fix is or a potential fix and also a way around it

On my car i have a long drive , if i start the car and take the handbrake off (foot on brake) and then put it into drive and let go for the break it "shoots" forward a little and then it seems ok after that and i can drive it normally. However as the weather has got colder now when i put the brake on at the end of the drive to make sure no one is coming it does stall sometimes which is annoying but i just do the same again. This is just some hack i found by chance.

The real fix after loads of googling is this part:

You need to find a UK based distributor of the part who will then tell you a more local reseller of it and you can ask them to fix it. Have i had it done , Nope not yet i was told there is a place in Preston that does it i just havent contacted them yet basically due to money issues and because i found a work around. However i will be doing as soon as I am able to , i reckon its about £1000 worth of work maybe they could chuck in a gearbox service with it.

Without contacting i cant say if they feel it can be fixed etc

Once i drive it once its fine all day.

Where are you based ?

Wow
Hi

On my car i have a long drive , if i start the car and take the handbrake off (foot on brake) and then put it into drive and let go for the break it "shoots" forward a little and then it seems ok after that and i can drive it normally. However as the weather has got colder now when i put the brake on at the end of the drive to make sure no one is coming it does stall sometimes which is annoying but i just do the same again. This is just some hack i found by chance.

You need to find a UK based distributor of the part who will then tell you a more local reseller of it and you can ask them to fix it. Have i had it done , Nope not yet i was told there is a place in Preston that does it i just havent contacted them yet basically due to money issues and because i found a work around. However i will be doing as soon as I am able to , i reckon its about £1000 worth of work maybe they could chuck in a gearbox service with it.

Where are you based

Hi

Where are you based ?
Wow! That will be an expensive fix, I've read somewhere they got something like this changed and it still didn't get fixed. So it is a huge gamble if you are not sure that is the actual cause. As another person said he only changed the MAF and it got fixed. So who knows. Anyhow, if you do, let us know the outcome. I was located in Leeds/UK previously, currently in Ukraine.

Wow

Wow! That will be an expensive fix, I've read somewhere they got something like this changed and it still didn't get fixed. So it is a huge gamble if you are not sure that is the actual cause. As another person said he only changed the MAF and it got fixed. So who knows. Anyhow, if you do, let us know the outcome. I was located in Leeds/UK previously, currently in Ukraine.

Not good news, i spoke to the guy and the said the Sonnax part just masks the issue but doesn't fix it , he said it needs a new torque convertor + valve body and quoted £1800 and he said it will defo fix the issue

I'd say it's more than likely to be torque converter, I remember w906 sprinter with 722.6 gearbox had the same issue

Not good news, i spoke to the guy and the said the Sonnax part just masks the issue but doesn't fix it , he said it needs a new torque convertor + valve body and quoted £1800 and he said it will defo fix the issue
Talk to Mackie Transmissions in Glasgow. They may have some insight.

They rebuilt my gearbox, charging £95 to transport it to and from Hampshire.

RayH

It will be either the TC, valve body or both causing the issue. Both can be re-furbished and the cost is not too dramatic. We tend to recommend both to be done.

It will be either the TC, valve body or both causing the issue. Both can be re-furbished and the cost is not too dramatic. We tend to recommend both to be done.
You guys are so far away, you reckon the 1800 is a bit too expensive i think he was talking about a new valve body and re-conditioning the tc

He did say it would defo fix the issue , but it is a gamble however there is no other way around it as once parked on my drive it stalls as soon as i get to the end of the drive now and i have to do it a few times before i get it out of the road

Alternative is to let it warm up for good knows how long and try it but thats just a waste of diseal esp at the prices like they are now

2011 C250 CDI
Same thing here. I just replaced engine oil and filters, also topped off the gearbox oil as it was a little under the level. Today was like 1 degree C outside and when I put it in R while slowly letting my foot off the brake it stalled. I usually keep it in Efficiency mode. Before today I just had that thud after letting the brake off (these things only when its cold and I start the car after its been a day since its parked)
This issue is driving me crazy

Book a session on STAR and get the faults read and take it from there.

Hi

Where are you based
Hi,

Anyone get an update on this? I still have the same issue.
Have you had the T/C replaced and the valve body service as suggested by Black55 18 months ago ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom