Stan & Ollie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Myself and Mrs M went to see this today.

Wonderful movie. We both really enjoyed it.

It’s not a re-run of their movies (nor is it billed as such) so do not be disappointed.

But it’s a great insight into their last years. Gentle and warm it gives us an insight into a wonderful friendship.

A slightly more mature audience (my own age grouping) seemed to ensure a huge drop in Pop Corn Chomping volume which meant that you can actually hear the dialogue. The same being evident of the 50 gallon Cola Drums that are normally found strapped onto their recipients backs, feeding them via fire hoses.

So a good movie in a pleasant environment.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrell

Coogan & Reilly are both excellent, really good. So good you just simply forget its not the true Laurel & Hardy. Both played their parts fabulously well.

I have come away wanting to learn more about them. I think that is a testament to good movie?

Last edited:
I can't say I'm overly clued up on Laurel and Hardy but obviously their look is iconic. I was stunned at just how closely Coogan and Reilly resembled them once made up. Definitely a film I will watch at some point.

............ a huge drop in Pop Corn Chomping volume which meant that you can actually hear the dialogue. The same being evident of the 50 gallon Cola Drums that are normally found strapped onto their recipients backs, feeding them via fire hoses.

So a good movie in a pleasant environment.

Enjoy.

I've stopped going to the cinema - I cannot deal with the inconsiderate yobs that seem to go to the cinemas these days..... talking, phones etc etc

I just wait for it to come to SKY/Netflix/Amazon and avoid the yobs.

I think of the cinema in the same way as I do public transport.

Depends on what time of day and how close the films release you go.

I'm a big Star Wars fan and was keen to see Solo (actually thought it was rather good). I went to see it at 10:30am. Admittedly I was on my own, sat and ate my breakfast popcorn and Coke (because I'm healthy obviously).

I did have to share the cinema with three other people which was a bit annoying but they behaved themselves.

My worst Cinema experience was going to see Jaws when it was first released .
We saw it , well tried to in a Cinema in the Haymarket London.
The Cinema was packed the film started then from the row behind us there came this extremely excited Japanese translation of the dialogue to the women’s friends all Japanese in the row directly behind us.
This went on for what seemed like ages until a mans voice I could understand said , “FFS shut the **** Up “ . This was greeted by hoots of Laugher.
The translation still continued but was much quieter but none the less ruined the film for us.
Some years later we bought the DVD of the film, we enjoyed it that time.

Alzieboy that reminds me of when I went to see the first Blade movie. I was about 16 and a group of mates and I were keen to see it.

There was a group of very loud Caribbean ladies who whooped and clapped every time Blade did something half cool on screen. It got to a point that a decent percentage of the cinema looked round each time it happened. Eventually someone just shouted, 'F*cking shhhhhh' and they just about managed to calm down. Not entirely sure the mindset behind that really, attention seeking? Stupid enough to think he can hear? Who knows.

I did have to share the cinema with three other people which was a bit annoying but they behaved themselves.

Best way ...

I tend to wait and go at quiet times for something I want to see. If there's any more than two or three other people in the cinema then I deem myself to have failed.

Got caught out by Avatar near the end of its run. Went early for what I thought was a quiet showing - found myself at the back of a massive queue and was one of the last ones into a completely packed Imax. Most of the people there seeme to have already seen it more than once and were there to make sure they saw it again before the run finished.

Best way ...

I tend to wait and go at quiet times for something I want to see. If there's any more than two or three other people in the cinema then I deem myself to have failed.

That's where the cinemas with a gallery are good. For the big movies I'm keen to watch me and the other half will go to Bluewater. They're not cheap seats but you get your own bar, a floor away from the plebs ahem I mean public and big seats in pairs like arm chairs. Essentially you're separate from everyone so it's far nicer!

No way would I go on public transport in the rain, peasants smell when wet.

Is there anything worse than humans who smell of damp dog?

I hate the constant rhythmic chomping and munching that we now have to endure just to watch a movie at the cinema. There should be rules to govern this. Quiet areas fitted with chompometers that shame the chompers out of their troughs of food.

I have witnessed family gatherings where the entire tribe have been brought in to assist in manhandling the vast quantities of chomp from the kiosk to their seating.

Worst of all. And I am not making this up. We once experienced the full surround smellyvision effect of the Mum breaking wind loudly while dad and entourage fell about laughing. The stench was akin to an explosion in a rotten egg factory.

Jeez. All we want to do is watch and listen to a movie.

Well Bruce it might be why they have never introduced smell vision into the flicks,there you are into your popcorn and then you get the odour of decomposing bodies in a sewer,mind you with the number of people who seem to have given up washing these days,that heavy dank odour ,it is unmistakable,you can get a wiff of that practically anywhere in a town centre or a supermarket.

There was an attempt to intoduce this in the seventies... cinema goers were handed a large sheet covered with small scratch pads, and instructions when to scratch each one to release the relevant odour.

Well Bruce it might be why they have never introduced smell vision into the flicks,there you are into your popcorn and then you get the odour of decomposing bodies in a sewer,mind you with the number of people who seem to have given up washing these days,that heavy dank odour ,it is unmistakable,you can get a wiff of that practically anywhere in a town centre or a supermarket.

Damp houses, chips and fags.

I was at the cinema years ago (back in the days when they had intermission before the main feature). There was a very obnoxious guy commenting aloud and annoying everybody. As the lights went on at intermission the guy infront of him stood up and punched the noise maker on the nose. Everybody applauded and the noise maker never cleft the cinema.

My gripe is that some see the cinema as an eating out experience, there to be shared with the audience. The concept of going along to watch and enjoy the movie is alien (no pun). This is wrong. It’s purpose is a cinema not a nosh house.

I was at the cinema years ago (back in the days when they had intermission before the main feature). There was a very obnoxious guy commenting aloud and annoying everybody. As the lights went on at intermission the guy infront of him stood up and punched the noise maker on the nose. Everybody applauded and the noise maker never cleft the cinema.

Sounds like a fabulous night out for all the family.

What had you gone to see - "Jeremy Kyle: The Movie" ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom