Stance and stretched tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think you'll be lucky. We once had a set of EVO II 17" wheels, they were odd front and back i think the rears were 129 wheels and the fronts were original EVOs.
Anyway, the front was a 7.5J with ET37, usual fitment, but on the back we had 8.25J ET34 i'm pretty sure. We had 245 width tyres on the back of that and it rubbed before we rolled the arches but was fine after rolling. Was a 1993 300-24v cabrio LHD.

This was probably about 10 years ago though so my figures may be out slightly.

can you even get a genuine 9' AMG rear with 31 offset?

my bad apologies i was thinking of my current ones, i believe the 9inch ones have a 35 offset.

et 31 are for 8 inch

I had these AMG wheels on my 190 with 215 back and front. Never rubbed on me and that car was LOW. Just standard arch rolling and no other arch mods such as pulling etc.
Previous to having the 8.5J et30 rears i had 7.5J ET37 all round with 235 tyres on the rear and 215 on the front. This didn't rub either.

The 190 obviously has smaller arches so i'm sure you'll be fine with a 235 tyre on the safe side...not much of a stretch for a 9J wheel really.

Obviously people will always tune new cars up regardless whether it's an individual or a company and I realise that in the euro-scene everyone is trying to put the widest wheels on with stretched tyres but does it suit a Mercedes?

Had a rather enthusiastic old friend tell me it would look great on my E-Cabrio at Autosport over the weekend at which point I laughed at him but he insisted I looked in to it as it would "change my life" :dk: as he had 10J wide wheels on the front of his Golf with a 215 tyre stretched and it "runs fine" :crazy:

Now having briefly looked into it and laughing some more found these interesting pictures of a Carlsson W212 with some nice BBS splits and Brembos so wondered what everyone thought of it....

dsc6995.jpg

dsc6991.jpg

dsc6988.jpg

dsc6987.jpg

dsc6989.jpg

dsc6986.jpg

I can't say I will ever consider doing anything like that because it's not my cup of tea, I do want to space the rears 19s a bit more though but a bit more to me is 5mm from the current 3mm so hardly drastic and would consider a drop on coilovers but again I won't be sitting it on the floor just a little lower - 1" maybe. I've read pages and pages on how there is very little room inside the arches on the E-Coupe/cabrio so I'm very weary on what to do there.

Can you actually drive a car around when it is so low like that surely it will catch when turning or going over a bump?
For some folks, 'taste' is only ever acknowledged when they eat. Dreadful!

For some folks, 'taste' is only ever acknowledged when they eat. Dreadful!

Does that include those with cars the colour of baby shat?

It comes down to a matter of opinion I guess.

The winter alloys I purchased a couple of months ago (SL reps) for my 210 are much wider (8.5J + 10J ET25) than the original AMG alloys I was previously running and they really do fill the arches whilst giving the car a much wider look.

Initially, I did like the look of them and even thought of refurbishing them for the summer but now they just look a bit too modified and out of character for a Mercedes. At the most, I may add spacers with the original AMG alloys to keep the arches filled.

Some people are very much into the whole stance scene and others not it depends on what you want out of your car. Practicality is a key issue though so unless you have airmatic/air ride be prepared for the worst :wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom