Stance and stretched tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's all a matter of taste IMO.

Can I ask why you think that?

Stretched and very low.

Attachments

• image-385454465.jpg
    image-385454465.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 96
It's all a matter of taste IMO.

Can I ask why you think that?

Sure - for a start I don't like the look. Much too Barry and Max Power for me. That's just my opinion.

Secondly, I have an old friend who spent much of his career in the Goodyear R&D department. I trust his judgement on any matter relating to tyres! Particularly when a good deal of that career was spent in court rooms following accidents and incidents where tyres and their performance came into question.

You'll get sick of people telling you your springs have snapped

Stretched tyres look stoooopid IMHO. Whenever I point them out to my kids they start talking like Ali G, which amuses me.

I like large alloys wife tyres and a slight drop. The stretched tyre look IMHO looks naff. Maybe ok on a 'dub' which were doing this 10 years ago, nothing's new only now using 'air' to sit them low at shows.

So fine for the polo / golf brigade if it floats your boat but not for me on any luxury style car.

Fine if you want to change your tyres more regularly that your underwear.
Have a colleague who has a brand new polo gti something or other. The thing is a little go kart and has some real power but he changes his tyres 3-4 times a year because of camber and sometimes they just pop on him? I don't know why he continues to do it, has had 3 different VW's since i've known him and all have been the same...

Personally I think the look is too max power and not for a Mercedes but each to their own! I know people questioned why i had 19's on a clk, was not to their taste...

Im running a 215/40 on an 8j.

Although its not a hardcore stretch by any means when compared to the likes of our euro brothers, ive purely done it for functionality reasons. Its for clearance so i can drive the car! The bonus is it also makes the wheels look better IMO and give it character for sure.

As my coupe is quite low, the rubber nicely tucks away under those arches as the side wall is at a good angle in order to do this rather than a straight 225/40 wall.

ive put 5k miles on these tyres and i must say im very impressed with how they handle.

Keeping a close eye on tyre wear too, they seem to be doing alright, but still early days. (Falken 912 ZE1x)

Attachments

• IMG_4985.jpg
    IMG_4985.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_6274.jpg
    IMG_6274.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 86
215 isn't really a stretch though - the tyre section is still wider than the rim.

The OZ Operas I bought (and then sold) had 235's on the 10" rears when I got them.

yea i remember you telling me that in a previous thread about stretch.

Still, im not exactly running these 8j's on what you would call standard fitment though?

yea i remember you telling me that in a previous thread about stretch.

Still, im not exactly running these 8j's on what you would call standard fitment though?

Seems perfectly fine to me. 215's are good out to 8.5"...if that's what best fits the combination of car and wheel then that's the right choice.

them Euro boys stretch 215's on 9/ 9.5 J!

I've seen a 195 on a 10, but frankly it looked bloody unsafe!

tn_100_4960.jpg

215 on a 9/9.5 is probably just about as far as is vaguely practical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom