Standard air box or cold air intake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blackbird1

Car
W203 C180k automatic estate
Having recently got an old c180k it has a cold air intake and i just ordered the original air box ect for it. Then after googling original box vs cold air it says the latter let's engines breath better and is better for mpg ect ect.

Have i made a mistake wanting to put the originals back on, should i leave the k and n type thing on. I have never liked them.

Stick to originals, much better unless you like induction noise.

I know

Is it a myth that i read about better breathing, mpg ect

I know

Is it a myth that i read about better breathing, mpg ect

Ask yourself who is advocating this and has it been properly and independently tested?

If it had significant advantages as claimed would the manufacturer not fit them as standard?

I guess that answers that doesn't it.

Is it really a "cold air intake" that is; takes in air from OUTSIDE of the engine compartment?

If it is, chances are that putting it back to standard will reduce performance.

Whether you'll notice is another matter.

I tried a tuning box on mine and couldn't feel any difference at all, but a bit of timing revealed it was a whole second faster 0-60.

With a cold air intake, you might shave 0.1 second off...

It's quite possible the standard air intake already pulls from outside the engine bay. This is certainly the case on my SL.

Marketing gone mad like Broadband speeds , etc .

A K&N might of improved a car... but this might of been due to small pipework and or small air box .

Then they apply the marketing to all.

If the Previous owner fitted a K&N what other dumb things might he have done. I'd put it all back to stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom