Star and OBD2, diagnostic stuff - C250td

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deian

Car
'01 W203 C200K Auto Estate
Hi all,

How electronicised is the W202 C250td in terms of being diagnosed/programmed. I think I'm right in thinking it's a CAN system, what works on this network? (engine, autbox, alarm, lights, locks, windows/mirrors, command (not on mine, but if it did?)).
What off the shelf tools could I buy to read parameters or write settings to different systems (if meed be, hopefully not). I know of the Star system, and how other manufacturers have their own interfaces to diagnose and interface with live data and write settings etc. What possibilities are there besides forking thousands for a Star.

And I assume the C250td is an OBD2 system, is this also linked to CAN or are these seperate systems that probably ackowledge each others presence with the odd network handshake everynow and again.

Finally, if I sound like a total noob, can someone post a link to educate me on the electronic side of things (specifically mb stuf, or even OBD2), anyone can be a greasemonkey, the fun is in the electronic tweaking.

Thanks, D

Anyone? lol

Although the Mercedes use a OBD2 connector and profess to be universal CAN BUS complient, they are not and one has to use the MB 'Star? system, The service interval and SRS can be reset with a 190 pound tools like the Foxwell but plugging in your OBD2 chinese tool is all but usless, just tells you live data as a rule, at least mine does.
p.s. if you think "anyone can be a greasemonkey" then you haven't tried applying for a position in a dealership. Back street mechanic maybe, IF someone with ONC B tech, C&G and or a degree hasn't beaten you to it!

Last edited:
When i mentioned grease monkey, i meant someone who ISN'T a qualified mechanic, it won't be long till my toddler son will be helping fix my car, it's just more involved when diagnosing electronic systems, you needs ecu readers, oscilloscopes etc, not just spanners, allen keys and brute force

i use a carsoft sytem, and can read codes on the c250 fine. cost me 15 quid on fleabay - usual price is about 50 or 60 - but whats a decent ratchet cost? its just another tool, and will save you loads in diagnosing problems

i use a carsoft sytem, and can read codes on the c250 fine. cost me 15 quid on fleabay - usual price is about 50 or 60 - but whats a decent ratchet cost? its just another tool, and will save you loads in diagnosing problems

I assume it's a bootleg version? Unfortunately for some reasons they are not on eBay any more... Only the BMW version remains. And even if it did, the bootleg version is a bit out of date so might not work with all cars.

What version of carsoft was it Guy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom