STAR Codes: What Next?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercious

Car
E320 CDI Auto Estate
I took the year 2000 E320 CDI to the garage because of the ususal loss of kickdown and it was put on a diagnostic machine akin to STAR.

The mechanic made a note of the codes. I copied his spidery writing thus:

PY622 Y75: Electric Switch-over valve Open Circuit.

P0700: Bank 215 Hot Film Mass Airflow Sensor.

P1403: Exhaust Gas Regrivation EGR Open Circuit.

P1470: Charge Pressure Negation Control.

P7789: Inlet Port Shutoff Open Circuit.

Written out here verbatim.

The 7s might be 1s but I couldn't tell with his writing.

From this could anyone direct me to the 'correct' codes and tell me if they all add up to one or two usual problems.

EGR and MAF and MAF Sensor are usual problems but this mechanic's handwriting has caused further confusion.

What a nightmare!

Whoever decided to start putting computer control units on cars should be shot.

Those look like generic ODB2 codes

P7789: Inlet Port Shutoff Open Circuit should be P1189
P0700: Bank 215 Hot Film Mass Airflow Sensor should be P0100
PY622 Y75: Electric Switch-over valve Open Circuit should be P1622 Y75

The rest are correct

They are not STAR read outs. As above, they are generic codes. Get it put on a STAR diagnostics machine for a proper break down of the faults.

Keith

Thanks for the information. I can now write out the correct generic codes.

Now the problem deepens and I'm back where I was a couple of months ago.

This car is a Cat D rebuild that wasn't completed: i.e. they forgot to give the car an identity re a chassis number that STAR can understand.

The car has the DVLA 'SABTVR' chassis number assigned to it after the rebuild.

I have a 'WDB210' chassis number which I got from the local main dealership but this is only the identity of the car from which the engine in this car came from. Could be the same car and then again, it might not be.

I need a 'Diagnostic Reset' at the main dealership so the car has an identity STAR can understand.

And there's more!

But I won't bore you now.

What I'm looking for now is any sign of a chassis/frame/VIN on the actual body of the vehicle.

The VIN below the front screen is the DVLA assigned one (useless for STAR).

Where on the chassis is the location of any other stamping of the chassis/frame/VIN?

I'm hoping there might be one that hasn't been ground out.

Not that I've looked around yet.

Look on your logbook. There will also be a plate somewhere with it stamped on....probably under the bonnet.

Keith

The logbook V5C has the DVLA assigned SABTVR VIN/Chassis/Frame number on it.

The plate under the bonnet, when I last took a cursory glance at it, looked like it had been rivetted on as a replacement but I'll have a good look tomorrow.

Thanks again.

What I'm looking for now is any sign of a chassis/frame/VIN on the actual body of the vehicle.

The VIN below the front screen is the DVLA assigned one (useless for STAR).

Where on the chassis is the location of any other stamping of the chassis/frame/VIN?

I'm hoping there might be one that hasn't been ground out.

Not that I've looked around yet.

There might be a stamped vin number on the floor of the car, infront of the drivers seat.

Windscreen, slam panel, firewall/bulkhead, under drivers seat/door sill, front right chassis leg

Also when you plug in STAR or a generic ODB2 code reader it should tell you the chassis number for the ECU.

You do not need to enter the VIN for STAR, it will pick that up from the car iteslf

The car's been on a STAR machine and it picks up the DVLA assigned VIN but it can't make sense of it because the VIN is a DVLA assigned SABTVR VIN instead of a WDB210 associated with a year 2000 Mercedes E320 CDI.(W210 model).

I've been there and back with it over and over again and I won't, at this point tell you about my appointment at the main dealership re the 'diagnostic reset'.

They used to wash your car as a courtesy. Now it's become part of a process: i.e. wash the car and then leave it on the carpark for three hours and do no work on it while everyone else jumps the queue and gets their car looked at.

If these numpties can't work correctly I don't want to deal with them.

But the independent with a STAR machine couldn't do anything and said "go to the dealership and get a 'diagnostic reset'".

BlackC55 said:
I suggest you find another independent!!

Hi guys, does anybody know how many of the numerous fault codes actually put a 270cdi into limp mode. I have an Indy diagnostic check booked for Friday and don't want to go in ignorant. For example would a temp related fault cause limp mode?

Not as simple as that it depends on the code and the numebr of times it has seen the same error. I have had limp mode before for a map sensor error, if I remember correctly once it registered 3 times it went straight into limp mode.

M55 inlet shut off causes the limp home and other faults are stored due to this failing. Usually the linkage drops off as it's worn

The op has a fuse blown

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom