Star finder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The forum cannot be seen to condone any of breach of copywrite.

This thread will disappear shortly.

And I should I am not averse to buying a full legitimate copy but despite having a legitimate and expensive Star Machine I have no idea where to look.

And I should I am not averse to buying a full legitimate copy but despite having a legitimate and expensive Star Machine I have no idea where to look.

I would be surprised if you have a legitimate Star tbh. If you did you would have access to all other resources.

I can vouch that spanner has a legitimate STAR , because I know who he is :)

Mercedes would be a good start.

He may have bought a second hand genuine STAR system and isnt paying the yearly subscription to Mercedes.

So not a STAR connected directly to Mercedes as it should be then. Hacked to allow it to work offline with no license.

One expects postulation and speculation on forums, but it's a bit of a surprise when an administrator does it.
There is nothing illegitimate about my Star machine or indeed by implication, my business itself.
I suggest a little self-moderation.

spanner, you initial post contained a link to a website offering Mercedes Benz CD for sale.

Unfortunately the vast majority (though not all) of cars and automotive manufacturers' CDs offered for sale online are either copied/burnt CDs, or original CDs 'removed' from dealerships and garages (for example, when a new version has been received). Neither of these is legal.

Of course no one can be certain that the Mercedes Benz CD offered for £36.37 at obdii.co.uk is indeed not genuine, however, given the above, it is not unreasonable for an Administrator to question and caution.

Please note that Sp!ke did not actually remove your thread, instead his post was a shot across the bow in case the discussion goes in an unwanted direction that may land this forum in trouble.

I'm confused, either your STAR is legit and you pay the annual fees or it isnt legit and it works only in offline mode.

If the former then you would have no need for the dodgy cd.

Just saying....

Well one of us is misinformed.
I've only had a genuine Star for about 10 years, so being a bit of a slow learner as I am, I am not fully conversant with all the nuances of the full depths of its capabilities. However, as far as I know, Star finder is not part of the software package.
Now, if you or anyone else are in a position to educate me then I would be delighted if you would do so, hence:
or indeed offer any other solution?
Making accusations on a public forum without first establishing the facts is commonplace and is one of the reasons why I don't particularly like them. Unfortunately when an administrator does it the philosophy is promulgated.
Perhaps this:
I thought legitimate access to Star involved prescription charges to MB
was a Freudian slip?:)

Last edited:
I have never heard of Star Finder , in fact I wondered on reading the title if this was going to be a thread about astronomy ! , but on looking at the link I see that

a) it is a product of MB USA and therefore not entirely applicable here since there are a lot of differences between European spec and American spec cars

b) isn't the information touted in the link available via a subscription to WIS/EPC which can be done either directly with MB , or as a benefit of joining the official club in whichever country you reside .

AFAIK , 'Indies' can legitimately buy Star machines under certain circumstances , even if they are not part of the official dealer network .

The two places I use locally are run by ex MB technicians and have Star machines ( the place my car is currently in is staffed by three MB Master Technicians who set up on their own and still keep current by attending courses at MB training centre down south ) and I'm sure everything about their businesses is 100% legit .

Having said the above , the linked ad does sound just a little bit suspect .

I'm confused, either your STAR is legit and you pay the annual fees or it isnt legit and it works only in offline mode.

If the former then you would have no need for the dodgy cd.

Just saying....

An independent who wishes no longer to pay for subscription can have their Genuine diagnosis equipment locked to work in the current state of last update. However this has to be done within 90 days of the subscription expiring.

MB will send a CD that 'locks' the software in its current state. If subscription is to be re-enabled MB would request the hardware diagnosis equipment to be sent back to Germany for unlocking.

Gentlemen, please stop speculating.
I own a legitimate Compact4 Star Machine with a current subscription, indeed only last week it was replaced by MB because the wireless card stopped working.
Star Finder is a very useful bit of software that fills the gap between a Mercedes part number EG 1635420618 and the Mercedes code for that part number (N64) in this case.
When one is looking for information on WIS (yes, I have a legitimate copy) one is referenced to the part code (N64) and can review detailed instructions on how to remove/install/locate it. However, WIS is very cumbersome and it is often quicker to access the information needed by using Star Finder to locate a component from the code alone. You enter the first three digits of the VIN and the part code and you are presented with a much clearer photograph(s) of the part in its installed location. It saves time and therefore money and is a great product.
However, as far as I am aware, it is not part of the MB(UK) software package that comes with my LEGITIMATE AND UP TO DATE Star machine.
Now, either educate me or make reasoned comments please, rather than reaching for the flame thrower.
Thanks.

Hi Spanner,

Which model of vehicle and sub-section from “STAR Finder” are you actually looking for? There are only 19 MB models available as of the V3 version 2008. Can you be more specific and I will try and help with any issues that you may have.

N64 is in fact a lateral accelerometer (yaw) rate sensor, but for which model do you require the information. I can help if you let me know.

Best Regards,

Dash1

That's very kind, thanks but I don't need help in locating anything other than a copy of Star finder! The N64 example was just an example.
We process about 10 cars per day so I can't rely on the genorosity of someone like yourself to satisfy my needs.
Thanks again though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom