Star Guard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Muddyell

Car
E320 CDI
Hi all,
When I bought my E320 the car was given the Star Guard treatment. I am just curious now as to what products I am able to use on the car? I have been told that I am not able to use polishes as this would take the Star Guard off. How true is this?

Thanks

Mike

You should have received an owner's pack containing products to maintain the finish?

I have the owners pack but it doesnt give me the finish i want. I have always detailed my previous cars and want to do the same with this without voiding the 3 years 'warranty'

If you were to use a good quality wax i.e. Collinite that has no abrasives included I can't see how it could be detrimental to the finish.

That said the Starguard should have a very glossy finish after washing with the supplied wash solution.

If you use polishes it will cut through the Starguard, use a clay bar and then a good wax, depending on how much you are willing to spend on the wax, depends on which one to recommend.

Isn't star guard just a can of scotch guard that you could buy for less than a tenner?

If so I'd just wash your car normally as detailing does not add any value to your car, it just empties your wallet IMHO..

Starguard is a polymer sealant system which if applied correctly works very well. That said it certainly isn't anywhere near as costly as dealers would have one believe.

Detailing isn't about adding value but adding pride in one's car's appearance.

some clay bars also "cut" like polish also, tbh star guard is crap! i would look at polishing the car properly then using something like gtechnic g2v3 or auto finesse tough coat or g quartz uk as a proper sealant then you will get the results you are looking for

Im umming and arring about getting the Stargaurd treatment. worth having if it isn't a metallic finish?

I've just bought an A45 and they threw this in, but after speaking with my friend who own cleancar.ie and also a local detailed, I rang and cancelled the starguard and got them to give me a roof rack instead.

I'm like you guys I like to give it a good polish when it's nice, wax it shine the wheels etc, but with this stuff on, it wouldn't last long using my normal products ..

If it was me, and you've already got I'd probably bite the bullet and just start as normal and hope it comes off in time....

At least the cloth insides done too so not a total loss

I had star guard put on mine to be honest ive topped it up a few times with the treatments they give but like you don't like finish so in the end I ordered some Meguiars synthetic sealant 2.0 works so much better and lasts longer starguard not all that in my opinion

Having used clay bars on lots of cars I'm surprised to see it not recommended!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feck if it's no good and conflicting stories -what's left!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom