STAR options - somewhat confused

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GLK

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
I'm just about ready to order a C3 STAR system clone with DAS software on a HDD, which will go into my newly acquired Toughbook CF-19.

Now the question: are these all the same thing by a different name, or is there a difference, and if yes, what is it?:

1. Engineer Mode
2. Developer Mode
3. Vediamo Software Module

This is for C3, as my budget won't stretch to C4 or C5, and they would be an overkill for my 2006 A200 C169 anyway. I do know the Vediamo must be under v.5 to work with C3.

This STAR is for private use only on a single car, so please don't shame me for not buying £8k genuine MB system :crazy:

Developer mode is the term used by MB, I guess Engineer mode is a generic term used by the seller for the same thing.

Vediamo is a different powerful software used in the factory i believe, personally i wouldn't mess with it unlesss you are certain what you are doing with it.

Thanks Bob,

I only want to delete UK mode, get the remaining miles and gallons info, and code retrofitted folding mirrors, for now at least, so nothing too drastic or overly complicated. I take it the developed mode, listed as included by some vendors, would do the job? Others quoted $20-$30 extra for the Vediamo module.

Developer mode will do most if not all

Just make sure you check the hard drive with a good anti virus program.

You need to be very sure you know what your doing, as it's relatively easy to brick modules, or at least render inoperative.

If all you wish is the coded options you mention I'd strongly recommend a trip to Lightwater and let the guys at Comand sort it (for a very reasonable price). They will also be aware of what can and can't be done...

If all you wish is the coded options you mention I'd strongly recommend a trip to Lightwater and let the guys at Comand sort it (for a very reasonable price). They will also be aware of what can and can't be done...

Thanks. Yes, I thought of that too, and will probably make this trip anyway, as I have a couple of other things to discuss with Mark and Richard, but I'd still like to have my own STAR, although I now understand the difference between Vediamo and Developer mode, and the former is not needed at all :thumb:

Just make sure you check the hard drive with a good anti virus program.

Having used only Linux and Mac for donkey's years, I don't have any of these ...

The supplied HDD will be cloned onto a new SSD, and fitted in the Toughbook. There will be no other use for this laptop, no other software, data, etc, etc. Other than initial setup, does it have to be online at all? I was planning to turn off wifi and keep it completely off-line.

If you have a MB and like to do some of your own DIY maintenance then I would recommend purchasing one. The saving on diagnostics alone will pay for itself after a few code reads. Even if you need help interpreting them on forums, the cost saving is definitely there

If you have a MB and like to do some of your own DIY maintenance then I would recommend purchasing one. The saving on diagnostics alone will pay for itself after a few code reads. Even if you need help interpreting them on forums, the cost saving is definitely there

Absolutely!

Just had a £115 charge for STAR on [emergency] repair bill from MB Northampton, so in the future would like to do my own, even if it's only a few times during the ownership of a car...

I don't know where you are sourcing your hard drive but be aware that some are copy or dongle protected.

Thank, I didn't know that.

The only reason I want to clone it is to have a faster SSD in the Toughbook to run the software.

I shall ask the vendor if they could do it for me - last thing I want is to fight a Windows install, - I know who'll win that fight ...

Thank, I didn't know that.

The only reason I want to clone it is to have a faster SSD in the Toughbook to run the software.

I shall ask the vendor if they could do it for me - last thing I want is to fight a Windows install, - I know who'll win that fight ...

You can install your own versions - if you are able to install images then you should have no problem

You can install your own versions - if you are able to install images then you should have no problem

I did asked the vendor if I can download an ISO image, but no.

So the only two options are: buy with his HDD, or without the software at all.

To be perfectly honest, I am so out of date on Windows, it would be a struggle to set it up by myself - I've no idea where things are, etc.

If only I could use Linux or macOS to do it :wallbash:

I did asked the vendor if I can download an ISO image, but no.

So the only two options are: buy with his HDD, or without the software at all.

To be perfectly honest, I am so out of date on Windows, it would be a struggle to set it up by myself - I've no idea where things are, etc.

If only I could use Linux or macOS to do it :wallbash:

Buy it with his HDD to get you up and running, this is what I did so I can confirm it running. Then I bought a spare HDD and put my own image on. This way if mine didn't work, I always had the original version working. I can try help you if you wish to go down this route

Buy it with his HDD to get you up and running, this is what I did so I can confirm it running. Then I bought a spare HDD and put my own image on. This way if mine didn't work, I always had the original version working. I can try help you if you wish to go down this route

Thanks, that makes perfect sense (as much as I would like to save 50-odd quid on his HDD).

Developer mode will do most if not all
Hi Bob
Thinking of going down the route of custom coding. (I mean coding used parts, non standard adjustments of comfort elements, etc.) Some of them require coding beyond the simple SCN download and apply. So that I am thinking of getting a multiplexer and some software, such as the C3 / C4 (maybe C5) + Vediamo or Star Diag.
Would you advise me which is the easier (cheaper) option to start with ?
Thx

Please do not discuss pirate software on here. This can get the forum in legal trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom