Star SCN Coding for Trailer Tow Bar Dedicated Electrics E Class Coupe C207 ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pmcgsmurf

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55 AMG W211, E250 Sport W212, (and some Imps)
Hi folks

Just fitted a Westfalia tow bar with dedicated electrics to an E Class Coupe C207.
Fairly easy job, electrics are Right Connection and simply plug into the rear SAM module, fairly easy.
Everything working as expected but would like to code it into the car to allow for parking sensors etc.

Anyone any pointers on coding for this option?

My Star system in DAS Stand Alone does not recognise the C207 as the model is listed as "Proto".
I can talk to the car with Xentry but not sure if I can code a trailer option with this method.

Any pointers appreciated.

Dunno but when I fitted a towbar to my 2011 S212 a Merc sparky was involved with the wiring and it still had to go into the Stealer to be coded. Coupled up to Germany apparently.:dk:
The bonus is that it now has the 'tow bar' option on the factory build sheet. :banana:

Dunno but when I fitted a towbar to my 2011 S212 a Merc sparky was involved with the wiring and it still had to go into the Stealer to be coded. Coupled up to Germany apparently.:dk:
The bonus is that it now has the 'tow bar' option on the factory build sheet. :banana:

Cheers, don't need it on the VEDOC but would be good to have the option enabled.

If all fails I can get a mate to do it at his Bosch place next week.

Did it on my W211 and it's nice as it pops up on dash if the trailer has a light out.

Yes. My understanding is that coding it properly also activates the trailer anti-snake stability control. (EDC or ABC or whatever the acronym is). Useful if your considering towing a heavy trailer or caravan.

Cheers, strangely little information about this available via search.

I might connect the Star up to the W211 and see what options this has.

Anyone know if I can use Xentry and manually do it?

Found it on the W211:

Control Units
Body
System Diagnosis
Control Unit Adaptations
Programming of Vehicle Equipment
Trailer Coupling (Fitted/not Fitted)

Control Units
Body
CGW
Control Unit Adaptations
Read Coding & Change if Necessary
Trailer Recognition (Not Present/Present)

Strangely the W211 didn't have any of these activated!

Will check with the C207 next time I have it here to see if I can code it this way too.

This needs to be done online via Xentry. Its a safety issue so I strongly recommend you get it done properly. If you email me your VIN number I can quote you if you like [email protected]

Yes, with the Xentry simulator you can see that there are no menus to activate those things you did for the W211.

Good call, just tried it a few times and it is a bit different to the W211 version.
Xentry crashes when selecting the rear SAM in sim. mode.

Cheers, don't need it on the VEDOC but would be good to have the option enabled.

If all fails I can get a mate to do it at his Bosch place next week.

Did it on my W211 and it's nice as it pops up on dash if the trailer has a light out.
I've just had a look at the PJ Jones Towbar site, and they have dedicated plug in MB wiring kits for the E Class. They mention at the beginning " Coding Required= YES. But further down the list of attributes, they also say that basic functions will work ( Brake, Indicator, Park ) lights will work as standard , but will not be linked to the internal MB system. Quote" In most cases, a dedicated kit will perform the full light functions after correct installation and a recode will not be required. However, if you wish to benefit from the additional safety features and other functions, then a recode may be required. Full recode details are included in the kit.Unquote " I think that in one of your previous posts you mentioned that the kit worked fine, but that you later had it coded. How did it work uncoded for you Pat? Did you have the basics with it? Thanks Pat.

Without coding the basics (lights/indicators/brake lights etc.) all worked fine.

Car didn't sense when a trailer was connected though so lights on car still on and reverse sensors would go off. After coding these were disabled when trailer connected.

Without coding the basics (lights/indicators/brake lights etc.) all worked fine.

Car didn't sense when a trailer was connected though so lights on car still on and reverse sensors would go off. After coding these were disabled when trailer connected.
Thats fine Pat,,,,had I known earlier on that was how it worked, I would have gone for the dedicated kit earlier on, but then when it said "needs coding", that put me right off. For now, I'm fine at least during day light hours, and I never use the trailer at night, so indicators and brake lights are enough.
Thanks again for your help Pat. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom